Question

Question on pre-installed SQL server To be Use Only by Commvault

• 12 May 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge +4

Question on pre-installed SQL server To be Use Only by Commvault

I would like to ask anyone who has installed Commvault Commserver with the SQL server, SQL Management studio preinstalled prior.
I have a couple of questions/concern:
1.  Will this impact the use of CS recovery assistant tool?
2.What do I need to do to ensure/configure that CS recovery assistant will have no problem working if I ever need to use it?
3.  What do I need to ensure/configure to ensure that the DR backup will function as is with this kind of setup?

Any thoughts, tips and magic tricks you can suggest.

5 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi @mach123 ,

The following documentation should answer all your questions = https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/pre_installing_microsoft_sql_server_software_on_non_cluster_environment.html

If followed correctly, you will not have any issues running the CSRecoveryAssistant Tool or backup DRs for the CS.

Please keep in mind that when pre-installing your own SQL Server, you must provide the license for it.

When letting the CS install the SQL Server version we bundle with the product, its license is already included as part of the EULA.

Badge +4

I did a  test install of SQL using the Commvault installer and as soon as I initiate the installer, the product key information is already provided. So your statement on providing the product key is not accurate

Badge +4

this is initiating the SQL install only and not the whole Commvault install

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

HI @mach123 ,

You are using the CV bundled SQL installer, that is the reason why the serial product key is already pre-populated.

When I mentioned “your own SQL Server”, I was referring to an installation of SQL Server using different binaries to the ones bundled by our installer.

Badge +4

cool. thanks for replying. have a good day.