Skip to main content

We’re migrating VMs from different vcenters and stand alone vmware esxi hosts to a vcenter which is  already configured in Metallic.  How do we get our vcenter in Metallic updated with the current VM inventory?  I’m looking for a “rediscover VMs on hypervisor”, “reinventory Hypervisor” or to be able to tell a VM already in inventory that it’s on a new vcenter or hypervisor.  Currently a migrated VM is stuck on the original hypervisor or vcenter and we can’t back it up.

Good morning.  Every time a job runs, discovery should add unprotected VMs to Metallic.  Is this not happening?

Regards,

Joe

Hello Mike, Create a new subclient. Use a tag-based discovery for the VM getting migrated to/from one VCenter/ESX to another. These VM’s can then be move to the standard that is followed on the CommCell. Hope that helps!

Hi Joe,

I had my jobs paused as the VM list per hypervisor was incorrect.  Running the jobs did allow the hypervisors to update with the proper VM list.  Thanks!

Hello Mike,
i had customer ran into this situation. The only way out of this would be for you to have multiple manual audits on the VM getting migrated and confirm that with the migration team.  Since the VM getting migrated may be configured as agent-based backup or VM level backup. Having checkpoint of servers before the migration starts and document which could indicate the progress would be helpful. 

If the migration has already begun, i would recommend the same procedure except track the migration from now on every-day or each milestone. that would help reduce a lot of confusion.

Hope that helps