Skip to main content

Hi all

I have a two part question. I have 2 storage libraries which replicate from Production to DR. Commvault isn’t aware of this replication and therefore the DR library is effectively a ‘dumb’ copy.
If I get the Replica Disk Library working, will the existing data on the DR copy be visible to Commvault, or only newly replicated data post creation of the Replica Library creation?

Regarding the creation of the Replica Disk Library, I’ve run into some issues whereby I create it and the data isn’t visible. This is currently being done in a Lab environment so as to not interfere with the customer’s data. 

I somehow need to configure Commvault at the customer’s site that’ll allow it to recognise the replicated data that it hasn’t been managing.

According to the documentation, the following steps should be completed.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=146761.htm

I’ve created a Production MA with storage assigned and a DR MA with it’s own storage.

I then went through the following steps but am unsure if I’ve done this correctly. My comments are in Bold.

Configuring the Replica With Read-Only Access

Procedure
1.    From the CommCell Browser, expand Storage Resources | Libraries
2.    Navigate to the <Library> associated with the primary (Production MediaAgent).
3.    Right-click the mount path and then click Properties.
4.    Click the Sharing tab.
5.    Click Share.
6.    From the Share Mount Path dialog box, perform the following:
a.    Select the MediaAgent (Assume DR MediaAgent) that should be associated with the replica.
b.    In the Access column, select Read.
c.    If the device is a direct-attached library such as SAS/FC/iSCSI for Windows or NFS for UNIX/Linux MediaAgents, define the mount path as a local path.
i.    Select Local Path.
ii.    In the Folder box, enter the mount path location.
d.    If the device is on a network, define the mount path as a network path.
i.    Select Network Path.
ii.    From the Credential list, select an appropriate credential to access the mount path. To create a new credential, click the Create New button.
For more information about managing credentials, see Credential Manager.
iii.    In the Folder box, enter the file path to the mount path where the data is replicated.
iv.    Click OK.
The new MediaAgent appears under Controllers.
7.    Click OK.
The disk library is now associated with the selected MediaAgent.

Configuring Disk Library on Replicated Disks Using the Expert Storage Configuration Tool

Procedure
1.    On the ribbon in the CommCell Console, click the Storage tab, and then click Expert Storage Configuration.
2.    Under Available MediaAgents, select the appropriate MediaAgents (PROD and DR MediaAgents) whose devices you want to detect or display, click Add>>, and then click OK.
Note
3.    If a library is not configured, a message appears that asks you to configure the library. Click OK.
If a library is already configured, this message does not appear. Subsequently the detected devices are displayed with detection status detect success in the Expert Storage Configuration dialog box.
4.    Click the Shared Disk Device tab (for which MediaAgent/Library? Assume it’s the Production MA?).
5.    Click the Start menu, point to Disk Device and then click Add Network Sharing Device.
The Add Sharing Folder dialog box appears.
6.    Select the appropriate MediaAgent (Production MediaAgent?) from the MediaAgent list.
7.    If the device is a direct-attached library such as SAS/FC/iSCSI for Windows or NFS for UNIX/Linux MediaAgents, define the mount path as a local path.
a.    Select Local Path.
b.    In the Folder box, enter the mount path location.
8.    If the device is on a network, define the mount path as a network path.
a.    Select Network Path.
b.    In the Connect As box, type the user name.
c.    In the Password and Verify Password box, type the password that is used by the backup software to access the network share.
d.    In the Folder box, enter the mount path location.
e.    Click OK.
The device information with the MediaAgent (PROD or DR?) accessing the device is displayed in the Expert Storage Configuration dialog box.
9.    Right-click appropriate sharing device, and then click Add Replica Sharing Folder.
The Add Sharing Folder dialog box appears.
10.    Select the appropriate MediaAgent (Production MediaAgent?) from the MediaAgent list.
11.    If the device is a direct-attached library such as SAS/FC/iSCSI for Windows or NFS for UNIX/Linux MediaAgents, define the mount path as a local path.
a.    Select Local Path.
b.    In the Folder box, enter the mount path location.
12.    If the device is on a network, define the mount path as a network path.
a.    Select Network Path.
b.    In the Connect As box, type the user name.
c.    In the Password and Verify Password box, type the password that is used by the backup software to access the network share.
d.    In the Folder box, enter the mount path location.
e.    Click OK.
The device information with the MediaAgent accessing the device is displayed in the Expert Storage Configuration dialog box.
13.    From the Libraries tab of the Expert Storage Configuration dialog box, click the Start menu, select Add, and then choose Replica Disk Library.
14.    In the Add Disk Library dialog box, enter the following:
a.    Alias: A descriptive name for the disk library.
b.    Automatically create storage policy for new data paths: Select this option to automatically create a new storage policy when the mount path is added to this disk library. - I didn’t select the option to create a new storage policy.
c.    Click OK.
The Shared Mount Path dialog appears.
15.    From the Disk Device list, select the appropriate disk device that you want to associate as the mount path .
16.    In the Base Folder box, type the name of the base folder under which the mount path can store data.
Do not include the drive letter while adding the name of the base folder.
17.    Click OK to configure the disk library.

After doing all the above, the Replica library is created but is shown as empty. There is data that has replicated at a storage level though.

Have I missed a step or configured the options incorrectly?

I should mention that the hardware managed replica file system is created as Read Only. So when I need to connect to the Replica Library, I create a clone of the replicated data in the hardware GUI which has read/write access and allows me to create the mount path.

Thanks so much!

Regards,

Mauro

Hello @Mauro 

Unfortunately Commvault cannot see\track data that it did not write (or at least track when 3rd party tools are used). There is no way for us to scan a piece of storage and retroactively “bring the data into Commvault”. To track it, you would need to setup the Library and the Replica Copy and then move the data.

Thank you,
Collin