Skip to main content
Question

Restore aged data using Tape (Tape is not overwritten as of now.)//NDMP client backup.

• 18 February 2024
  • 5 replies

Hello,

following recent restore request, upon checking we found out that retention of the data has been met and pruned back in 2019, now the client needs data from 2017-2018, so we identified some tapes used for the backup copy to tape, and can see that the tapes are not overwritten, so we can still recover it as per the documentation, could you please help me with the process how can i get the data recovered using aged tape(not overwritten), 

Note: its NDMP client for which license is released, and current backups are configured on another NDMP client following storage migration (just in case information needed.)

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Birendra 

You can enable Browse and recovery of aged data and restore from Tape if the data is still intact.

Control Panel → Browse and Recovery → Include Aged Data.

Please enable this option and try.

Recovering Aged Data (commvault.com)

Thanks,

Sunil

Badge +1

Thanks @Sunil ,

will try and get back to you with an update. 

Badge +1

Hello @Sunil,

i tried above steps, backup jobs are visible on the commcell console after i marked the aged Tape to un-age Job, however while try to browse and restore the data , i get error as no data found for the specific time range, for reference i have attached snap, all the tapes related to particular jobs are loaded into library already, see below snap,

Kindly suggest.

Regards,

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @Birendra 

If you un-aged the job, ideally we don’t even need the Control panel step I suggested above.

Did you try to browse directly from the job or tried browsing for a time range. I don’t think there should be a difference though, but asking to confirm.

Thanks,

Sunil-

Badge +1

Hello @Sunil ,

I’ve tried both the option, also prior to un-aging the Job, I tried your given steps as well, same error as attached above.

kindly suggest.

Regards,