Skip to main content

I was wondering if the flashback command is or isn’t supported once backups are moved into Commvault, particularly if not, then does Commvault mimic that functionality? I was told that this command isn’t able to be used and as we are doing a PoC of these agents, nothing turns up in any searches of the documentation.

thanks

Hi @downhill,

Could you elaborate on the exact requirement.

Flashbackup is configured for faster alternative to perform incomplete database recovery using the archive logs and online redo’s available in the FRA. 

You may prefer to retain archive log on FRA for longer time than deleting them immediately after the backup by using advanced backup options → Arcive delete older than n days

Check the docs → here

Let us know in case of any other questions.

Regards,

Hi @Gowri Shankar ,

I’m not the DBA but I don’t see anywhere in that or other documents where it talks about the relationship to Flashback commands.

What was told was the agents rendered flashback commands useless or unusable in time of need. This is what I’m trying to verify. 

There are like 15 days worth of archive logs configured in the plan but if flashback can’t be used then what - does the FRA serve no purpose then if all logs are going into Commvault storage?

Hi @downhill 

You can chose advance archive delete option and select the option to delete logs older than x days.

That way the logs are still retained in FRA for the X days.

Link for the advance archive delete option → https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/20414_performing_oracle_log_backup.html

Regards,

Gowri Shankar

Hello @Gowri Shankar , @downhill ,

We currently planning on using commvault to backup RAC databases running within an Oracle KVM environment.

On Main Site: 2 x Ovirt (HA) w/ RAC + FRA , & on DR 1 x Ovirt r No RAC , No FRA]

OLVM on Ovirt Nodes

Physical  Backup Servers on Main site & DR.

We will have to start drafting the backup policy and was wondering on how to implement our policies properly.

Do you have some guidelines that you may share ?

Regards ,

Anthony