• 14 replies

Badge +7

Hello!

Problem description:
SAP for Oracle agent has following subclients:
1) Online - For Online Database backups
2) Offline - For Offline Database backups
3) Logs - For log backup

Backups for Online and Logs subclients happening regularly. Offline subclient is used for special cases, only one job for this “Offline” subclient exists and it is marked for 5 years retention.

Problem: Jobs of “Logs” subclient not aging, with reason LOG RULE and with “Required By Jobs” mark, where required job is job of “Offline” subclient, which we want to keep for 5 years.

How to resolve problem with Log aging and keep job, which is blocking aging?

icon

Best answer by AndresL 21 September 2023, 14:03

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @AndresL 

Are your Offline subclient backups retained by basic retention or extended retention?

Thanks,

Sunil- 

Badge +7

Hi @AndresL 

Are your Offline subclient backups retained by basic retention or extended retention?

Thanks,

Sunil- 

By basic retention, but both Online and Offline subclients use same Storage policy.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @AndresL 

Okay.. that explains. When the full backups are retained by basic retention, all the log backups after the oldest data backup will be retained.

For the jobs you want to retain for longer time like 5 years in your case, you need to configure extended retention. This will prevent from all the log backups from hanging around for all the time. Only the log backups which are running in parallel to the data backup will be linked and retained (since your’s are offline backups, there won’t be any parallel log backups anyway).

Thanks,

Sunil-

Badge +7

Hi @AndresL 

Okay.. that explains. When the full backups are retained by basic retention, all the log backups after the oldest data backup will be retained.

For the jobs you want to retain for longer time like 5 years in your case, you need to configure extended retention. This will prevent from all the log backups from hanging around for all the time. Only the log backups which are running in parallel to the data backup will be linked and retained (since your’s are offline backups, there won’t be any parallel log backups anyway).

Thanks,

Sunil-

Now I configured also Extended retention for Storage polycy copy where “Offline” subclient assigned. I don’t see any changes in “Data Retention Forecast and Compliance Report”

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Did you reduce the basic retention time too?

Can you post a screenshot of your storage policies copy retention configuration?

Thanks,

Sunil-

Badge +7

Did you reduce the basic retention time too?

Can you post a screenshot of your storage policies copy retention configuration?

Thanks,

Sunil-

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @AndresL 

Did you manually pin the offline backup job for 5 years?

Thanks,

Sunil

Badge +7

Hi @AndresL 

Did you manually pin the offline backup job for 5 years?

Thanks,

Sunil

Hi,

Yes, manually.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

The pinned job shouldn’t cause all logs to be retained after it goes beyond the basic retention days/cycles. We may have to look at this case why log backups are not getting aged off. Your basic retention configuration is looking fine. You can revert the Extended retention you enabled today too.

Would you be able to raise a support ticket?

Thanks,

Sunil-

Badge +7

The pinned job shouldn’t cause all logs to be retained after it goes beyond the basic retention days/cycles. We may have to look at this case why log backups are not getting aged off. Your basic retention configuration is looking fine. You can revert the Extended retention you enabled today too.

Thanks,

Sunil-

Yes, I can raise a ticket.
Probably important to note, that this pinned job is only job in subclient Offline, so maybe it is counted as 1 cycle and therefore doesn’t go beyond basic retention. But at the same time there are multiple jobs in Online subclient. Will remind that both subclients targeted to same storage policy. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Thanks,

Sunil-

Yes, I can raise a ticket.
Probably important to note, that this pinned job is only job in subclient Offline, so maybe it is counted as 1 cycle and therefore doesn’t go beyond basic retention. But at the same time there are multiple jobs in Online subclient. Will remind that both subclients targeted to same storage policy. 

That’s a good point. Mostly the cycle part is causing the job to be on basic retention still. Without changing storage policies, I don’t see a way to put this job out of basic retention.

Do you think it’s possible to change the cycles to 0 temporarily so that the pinned job goes out of basic retention? We should revert this after the log backups are aged off.

You should increase the number of days while 0 cycles is in effect to safe guard your other backups in that policy.

Thanks,

Sunil-

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

@AndresL 

I checked with my colleague also. Another way is to disable backup activity on the Offline subclient and set below option to 1. This will allow the offline backup to go beyond basic retention.

Control Panel -> Media Management -> DataAging tab -> Ignore Cycles Retention On backup activity disabled subclient

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/11019_media_management_configuration_data_aging.html

Please note that, this option affects all such subclients in the CommCell.

Thanks,

Sunil-

Badge +7

@AndresL

I checked with my colleague also. Another way is to disable backup activity on the Offline subclient and set below option to 1. This will allow the offline backup to go beyond basic retention.

Control Panel -> Media Management -> DataAging tab -> Ignore Cycles Retention On backup activity disabled subclient

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/11019_media_management_configuration_data_aging.html

Please note that, this option affects all such subclients in the CommCell.

Thanks,

Sunil-

Thank you for help, eventually I set 0 cycles on storage policy and it helped. Only after I set 0 cycles on ALL Storage policy copies jobs were marked as prunable.

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Thank you for the update. Glad I could be of help.