Solved

SQL 2012 Components on 11.30 install

• 9 January 2024
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi,

I have a Production CommCell where I did a hardware refresh from Win 2012 v11.24 to Win 2019 v11.30

On the new VM I notice in add/remove programs that I have SQL 2012 components also installed.

I also checked the CommCell in my Test Lab and its a brand new v11.28 install and it also has the same SQL 2012 components installed.

As SQL 2012 is no longer supported can these be removed ? plus why are these SQL 2012 components getting installed.

Thanks  

icon

Best answer by Chris Hollis 25 January 2024, 21:22

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @atitagain 

Our documentation site lists these components as third party apps to be installed - https://documentation.commvault.com/2023/expert/third_party_applications_installed_by_commvault_installer.html

So as they are listed, they must be required for functionality. 

I’ll see if I can find out specifically why these are necessary given that 2012 is now deprecated.

Regards,

Chris 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

@Chris Hollis , thanks for your reply. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@atitagain 

I spoke to my development team, they’re investigating and will alert me by next week as to why and what the future plans are.

Regards,

Chris 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Thanks Chris,

I have security scans picking up SQL 2012 and that is raising alarms 

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@atitagain 

Thanks for your patience.

Received confirmation SQL 2012 SMO and Native client are no longer necessary and are marked deprecated in FR36+. 

However, I’m just seeking confirmation one last time that they can be removed on FR30/FR32 and FR34 setups.

Will hopefully get this clarified overnight.

Regards,

Chris  

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Thanks again Chris

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@atitagain 

Confirmed it's safe to remove 2012 SMO and native client in FR28 and FR30.

We will no longer install these apps in FR36+ (by default).

Thanks for your patience getting this reviewed, lots of testing involved!

Regards

Chris 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Thanks Chris, have a few CommServes to visit now to remove SQL 2012 component's.