Solved

Storage for backup and aux copy

• 4 April 2024
  • 6 replies

Badge +1

We are provisioning a new NetApp E-series storage array for backups. From performance perspective, are there benefits to having separate disk pools for backups and aux copies compared to having one pool for both? 

icon

Best answer by Onno van den Berg 5 April 2024, 10:51

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I would say one single pool, but that depends on the total amount of disks that you have available and it also depending on the aux-copy setup. Are you aux-copying between two disk arrays or are you copying data to another device type like cloud or tape? 

Badge +1

We will aux-copy to another disk library. We have 50 disks in the array. I was concerned aux-copy read-write operations could impact backup performance and vice versa.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Are you going to backup to both and aux-copy data between them or is one array used to receive all primary copies and is the other only acting as the target for the aux-copies?

Badge +1

We have one array in each datacenter to handle all backups and aux-copies for that site. It’s essentially handling all the Commvault jobs.  We run aux-copies between each site from the same arrays.

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

In that case I would use a single DDP pool and at least 2 volumes. This document also gives a lot of insights: https://www.netapp.com/media/12421-tr4652.pdf

Badge +1

Thanks for helping me on this!