Solved

System volume information space filling up windows shadow copy settings

• 19 August 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge +1

System volume information space filling up windows shadow copy settings set to no limit

There is a trick to clean it up but wondering why?

icon

Best answer by Damian Andre 5 September 2022, 08:27

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +13

That shouldn’t happen. Which products are installed? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@AMJ , following up.  Were you able to review the reply above?

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@AMJ,

If system state is enabled then persistent shadow copies are created - otherwise non-persistent is created. If something in interrupting the job then perhaps VSS shadow storage would not be cleaned up, however I’m pretty sure the filescan process will check and clear any stale VSS snapshots we create.

Its unlikely that Commvault VSS snaps are the cause of the storage running out because shadow copies are not cleaned up - but you can identify the shadow ID in the filescan.log file for the job and see if that matches up to what you are seeing consume all the space.

Badge +1

@Aplynx Unfortunately this happened. if you mean Agents then filesystem and core. SP17

Badge +1

@Damian Andre I agree with you but we got to know that there is Microsoft code for VSS API’s had a bug which was observed in SP15 and fixed in Maintenance release but we still got the issue in SP17 and SP20 as well which is surprising.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@AMJ , were you able to cross reference the shadow IDs to the FileScan.log entries?

Might be worth creating a support case here.

Badge +1

@Mike Struening Yes we did but not progressing because we cannot reproduce the issue.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Appreciate the update.  Let’s give it another week before marking this as ‘solved’, though you can update the thread at any time after and I’ll be able to unmark it 🤓