Skip to main content

Hi,

We use a tape library as DR. It’s configured to only keep one full backup of servers, shares etc.

Now I noticed that it doesn’t release tapes though there’re a lot newer backups for the shares or servers.
To check it I’ve viewed the tape and what’s not greyed out.
Then I checked the fullbackups for that share/server/db etc. and used view media for the fullbackups.

Questions:

1. When checking a subclients full backups and viewing media and it then shows a couple of tapes. Does that mean that the full backup does exist on those tapes or does it also show those tapes regardless if the backup is partially or fully on the tapes?
  2. Is there a job that we can run to correct and release these tapes if they already should have been released since there already exist newer backups on tape?

Hi @PatricG,

I’d suggest running a “Data Retention Forecast and Compliance” Report on the SP Copy to check if all the Jobs have aged and the reason if not aged here.

Data Retention Forecast and Compliance Report Overview (commvault.com)

Best Regards,

Michael

Hi @PatricG 

You can follow these steps to get info

1. First, run Data Aging and let it complete. 
  2. Go to reports and click the Data Retention Forecast and Compliance Report. (Link provided above) On the storage policy tab, uncheck the top level button for Storage Policies.  This should uncheck everything.  Now, refer to the Storage Policies and copies you wrote down and find them below.  Be sure to expand the Storage Policy and select ONLY the proper copies.  You might have other copies that write to other libraries which you don’t need that on this report. 
  3. Now run the report.  The report can take up to 10 minutes to complete, depending on the size of the library.  Note that you CAN just run the report against the library as a whole.  You may have a bunch of copies to this library, 

Review the report for any Barcodes that are being held beyond configured Retention

This is a list of the more common Reasons for Not Aging and how to get these jobs to prune.

You can refer to this link to get more info on the reasons for not aging.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/data_aging_troubleshooting.html

Thank you @MichaelCapon @Abhishek Narulkar ,

I’ve runned the report.

When checking a share and a db I know of having backups on tape not aging the report states ‘Not_Copied’

Still when checking media for the job it informs me that it’s on a couple of tapes.

When checking this tapes the job exist not aged on the tape.

Can I age just the DR copy made to tape without aging anything else on that tape?

@Abhishek Narulkar I will cary on reading the documentation so supplied..

Thanks @PatricG,

If you run the report for the Tape Copy of the SP and still see “NOT_COPIED” as the reason, Is there a tertiary copy dependent on the Tape Copy?

Best Regards,

Michael

​​​@MichaelCapon 

No there’re no other copy’s that are dependent of those on tape.
We only keep one copy on tape for around 2 weeks for a last resort DR. Then it’s aged.