Skip to main content

It’s finally been a year (our retention period) for the old file server, which was running on a windows failover cluster, i.e. they needed to have the mediaagent component installed in order for them to work. Now when I try to retire the client “WinFSCluster”, it is showing me the following error - “Failed to delete Client. Snapshots are still mounted.”

Nothing comes up in a web search for this error message, so I hope you can assist me, commvault forum folks!

Hello ZachHeise,

I would try checking the Backup History of the Client and selecting Include Backup Copy and Catalog Snapshot Jobs.

Then check for them in Array Management.

Then follow the documentation: Deleting Snapshots (commvault.com)

Hmm, unfortunately this didn’t solve the problem. All my snapshots for this client already show as unmounted. I have staged my commserve database and uploaded it to commvault support - I have a paid support contract with them. Once they have found the solution for me I will post it here on the public forums, so hopefully it might help someone else in the future.

Thanks for the update @ZachHeise !  Can you share the case number here so I can track it?

The ticket was 220322-699 - got it resolved today. The solution was that I had some jobs still listed under the “primary snap” storage policy that I didn’t know about (I had only been looking under ‘primary’ policy) - I assumed everything had been moved out of the primary snap → primary but was incorrect. Once the tech had my database staged and was able to see that, he suggested I just delete these ancient snaps from the storage policy, and after I did so - and ran a Data Aging job - I was able to delete the client fully.

The error message was just confusing is all. Telling me that the “snapshots are still mounted” made me look for mounted snapshots, obviously. When really it was a matter of snapshots just still existing at all that hadn’t been moved to primary backup storage that needed to be moved/deleted.

Awesome share, thanks!!!