Question

VSA Backup - VM with"GX_Backup" register in vCenter in specific VM Folder?

• 10 November 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi Community,
Is it possible to register the "GX_Backup" VMs in a specific VM folder during the backup in vCenter?

GX_Backup VMs in vCenter

I have already checked the Additional Settings in the Java Console, but unfortunately did not find a suitable entry.

Thnaks and best regards,

Andy

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @ak2 , thanks for the thread post!

I checked directly with our SME for this and he said there’s no feature to do this.

I recommend opening a support case and requesting a CMR.

Once you do, share the case number so I can track it.

Thanks!

Userlevel 4
Badge +9

You can additionally avoid the creation of these GX_BACKUP VMs by leveraging IntelliSnap without mounting to the ESXi host: https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/36439_intellisnap_backup_operations_and_backup_copy_operations_run_without_proxy_esxi_host.html

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Hi @ak2 , thanks for the thread post!

I checked directly with our SME for this and he said there’s no feature to do this.

I recommend opening a support case and requesting a CMR.

Once you do, share the case number so I can track it.

Thanks!

Hi Mike,
thanks for your Feedback! Okay, I opening a Support Case and requesting a CMR.

Best regards,

Andy 

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

You can additionally avoid the creation of these GX_BACKUP VMs by leveraging IntelliSnap without mounting to the ESXi host: https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/36439_intellisnap_backup_operations_and_backup_copy_operations_run_without_proxy_esxi_host.html

Hi,
we use IntelliSnap on NetApp and BackupCopy (without ESXi Proxy). But there are some VMs that are backed up via NDB Transport Mode.
In this case the customer wants the VMs in a specific VM Folder.

best regards,
Andy 

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

I t.b.h. think it also becomes time to ditch the GX naming usage and replace it with CV or CVLT.