Question

What does the Un-aged Jobs do on a tape library ?

• 19 December 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +4

Hello,

I want to confirm that the Un-aged jobs on a tape library can be used to extend existing retention on a tape that is not exported yet.

I want to increse the retention before export it.

Thanks !

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Amin91,

Aged jobs on a tape means they have met retention and now they can be overwritten. Tape being tape - all jobs have to be aged on the entire tape before the tape can be overwritten by other jobs. Before it is overwritten you can un-age the jobs to bring them back as active jobs, ensuring they temporarily wont be erased. You can then extend the retention on those jobs if you need them for a longer period.

Badge +4

Hi @Amin91,

Aged jobs on a tape means they have met retention and now they can be overwritten. Tape being tape - all jobs have to be aged on the entire tape before the tape can be overwritten by other jobs. Before it is overwritten you can un-age the jobs to bring them back as active jobs, ensuring they temporarily wont be erased. You can then extend the retention on those jobs if you need them for a longer period.

Thanks Damian, I am talking about this option :

Do you know how to extend the retention set on a tape that is not exported yet ? I want to increase the retention before the export.

Thanks 

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @Amin91 

It looks like the tape already has jobs within retention so this option will un-age the jobs on the tape that have already aged and let you manually set a new retention for the jobs.

Un-age the Job from Media Level - https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/un_age_job_from_media_level.html

Thank you,
Collin