Skip to main content

The “Data retention and Forecast report” indicates they are all being retained because they are ‘INDEXING JOB”. But all of the retention of any of the copies in my storage policy age it out after 14-30 days, 1 cycle. These jobs are being held for over 6 months.

Is there any way to set the retention for these to match our storage policy (like a setting somewhere?)? or is being retained because ‘INDEXING JOB” because something related to the storage policy is hanging around and not ageing… so the index stays around, and if so, how do you find out what it is?

Edit: and in the report, the “required by Jobs” is the same Job ID as the Job ID as the IndexServer job itself. They don’t refer to any other jobs

Good morning. Index backups do not follow storage policy retention as normal backups do. I am including a link to our documentation on how Index Backups age.   

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/92408_backupset_level_indexing_index_cache_cleanup.html

A follow up, if anyone know it: is there a way to tell which jobs are keeping index jobs hanging around?  The docs indicate how they are aged (4 cycles) but I have some hanging around since July of last year…with more than 1 index job in the jobs list (there’s like 1 per month since  July last year) so it would stand to reason that there are some jobs associated with them that are not ageing off… but I cannot determine what jobs they are