Skip to main content
Solved

Will I have issue changing the Commserve, and Media Server IP's?

• 8 December 2021
  • 8 replies

I need to move our Servers to a private IP and I do not know if this will cause any issues.  Can I change IP’s if I leave the names the same?

Thanks! 

If you’re using DNS, CommVault will simply use the new IPs the network responds with when trying to resolve the hostnames. 

I believe you may also need to request a new license file from Commvault since you are changing IPs.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/4748_commserve_hardware_refresh_setting_up_commserve_database_in_new_hardware.html#

Remember: If the IP address of the new CommServe computer is different from the old CommServe computer, obtain a new CommServe license configured with the new IP address from your software provider. However, if in the old CommServe license, the IP address was set to dynamic, then you do not require a new CommServe license. You can reuse the old CommServe license in the new CommServe computer.

Sweet Thanks Guys and or Gals! 

My recommendation, if you’re able, is to lower the TTL on the DNS entries for your CS and MAs so when the DNS changes are made they propagate quicker.

Modern license keys no longer require a specific IP address.  You can look in the XML file of your license key to see if it says IpAddressType="DynamicType".

Thanks,
Scott

Modern license keys no longer require a specific IP address.  You can look in the XML file of your license key to see if it says IpAddressType="DynamicType".

Thanks,
Scott

Good to know. Documentation could reflect that update.

Thanks,
Scott

Good to know. Documentation could reflect that update.

@dude , if you didn’t already, I can submit a feedback MR on that page in your name.  Just let me know.

I sent it through the documentation portal. Thanks Mike

For you, I figured you already did!

Thanks, man!!