Skip to main content

Error Code: [17:176]
Description: Failed to create VSS snapshot required to run system state backup. System state backup is skipped. VSS error [[0x80042306 2147754758] The shadow copy provider had an error. Check the System and Application event logs for more information.]. Please refer VSS Event logs for more details.
Source: <client name>, Process: clBackup

I was asked by Server admin to answer/action following, which doesn’t make sense to me because I had have never to do this manually in past to stop VSS related error on windows file system backup.

Even on the host having this issue started recently, but prior that there was no such error, 

The host in question runs win file system and sql level backup 

Question from System admin:

“We need to know if that server is doing SQL backups with CommVault, this is to determine if VSS is trying to backup SQL (i.e. if CommVault backs up SQL, it should exclude SQL from the default Windows subclient. If this is not excluced, then CommVault will tell Windows to backup the SQL databases using VSS, which is not ideal.) “

Thanks in Advance for all responses !

Hello @MAK000 

You can protect SQL with either VDI based backup or VSS.

The default is VDI and can be swapped to VSS with the following steps: 

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/enabling_volume_shadow_service_for_sql_backups.html

If you are getting errors relating to VSS its always best to check the windows event viewer and the following commands in a CMD admin. 

vssadmin list writers

vssadmin list shadows

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Its been happening on and off, not every day, and the error is happening on file system backup, not on sql level backup, so should I still try to go and check to use ‘VSS’ ?