Question

File Server Upgrade without Full Backup

• 18 August 2023
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

We are in the processes of upgrading a number of our servers.  They are virtual and the Drives lay on our SAN.  Currently we create a new server with the same name but B like 15B.  When we go to replace the old server they change the names and then connect the Drives to the new server.  When our backups run, the first time even if they are Inc’s the do a full backup again.  So we are backing up for a few days because we need to pause during the day because it slows down the business to a crawl.  Is there a better way to do this, am I missing something that I should be doing.  The drives themselves are exactly the same.  I could understand if they were physical machines but its all virtual on the same SAN.  Maybe its just the way it is I just can’t imagine a huge company dealing with this, we are not a large company but this server alone is 10-15 TB worth of drives.  Any suggestions for best practice.  Thanks everyone

1 reply

Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Hello @Heath 

If this is the case of VM backup, then I am suspecting that VM GUID is getting changed after adding drives to new server and hence the first backup will run as full.

The virtual machines are discovered by their GUID. If the display name changes the machine is still included in the subclient as long as its GUID remains the same.

The VMware APi calls utilize the VM GUID. This is what we utilize when working with VMware. You may try changing VM GUID manually to same as the old VM and then test the backup.

However, if this is for file system backups, then we need to review the filescan, clbackup logs.

Cheers,

Tanuj Balani