Solved

HANA 2.0 cross client restore error 18:146 (backint *449)

• 29 January 2024
  • 11 replies

Badge +4

Hey guys, 

we are trying to perform cross client restore of HANA DB. CV version on both clients is 11.28.102 and HANA installed on both is version 2. Destination pseudoclient has in HANA instance configured also source physical client (Modify instance propery → details → Hana Database instance contain both source and destination server). 
Both servers are on same network, connectivity was tested from both ends. Destination param file contain srcCrossClient and srcCrossSIDName values.  

Could you kindly have a look on errors below and advise? 

Many thx. 

Backup Stamp=[#NULL] quoted filename=["/usr/sap/AB1/SYS/global/hdb/backint/DB_T01/log_backup_0_0_0_0"] filename=[/usr/sap/AB1/SYS/global/hdb/backint/DB_T01/log_backup_0_0_0_0]

Broken Pipe file=/usr/sap/AB2/SYS/global/hdb/backint/DB_S43/log_backup_0_0_0_0 writtenToPipe=67448 errno=32

--- Restore Failure

backint: ERROR: System error: /usr/sap/AB1/SYS/global/hdb/backint/DB_T01/log_backup_0_0_0_0, rc=32: Broken pipe

Failed to Restore the file=/usr/sap/AB1/SYS/global/hdb/backint/DB_T01/log_backup_0_0_0_0 retCode=2 errno=32

#ERROR /usr/sap/AB1/SYS/global/hdb/backint/DB_T01/log_backup_0_0_0_0

Restore Failed; 0 File(s) Restored; total transferred bytes=0

SAP HANA GENERIC_ERROR: [Failed to write the file=/usr/sap/AB2/SYS/global/hdb/backint/DB_S43/log_backup_0_0_0_0]

job status is FAIL

exception:

exception  1: no.110507  (Backup/Destination/Backint/impl/BackupDestBackint_Executor.cpp:250)

Backint exited with exit code 1 instead of 0. console output: backint: ERROR: System error: /usr/sap/AB1/SYS/global/hdb/backint/DB_T01/log_backup_0_0_0_0, rc=32: Broken pipe

icon

Best answer by lubimkomvolt 2 February 2024, 10:22

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @lubimkomvolt 

Can you clarify why this is done? Why are both source and destination physical clients added to the destination instance?

Destination pseudoclient has in HANA instance configured also source physical client (Modify instance propery → details → Hana Database instance contain both source and destination server). 

Thanks,

Sunil-

Badge +4

Hi Sunil,

That setting was recommended in a case long time ago. I understand it as a condition for destination client to see and use backups of other client/instance. Previously, few months ago restore worked with that config.

Additionally, I wanted to see mlre detailed log, so.I increased debug level on bakint log of both clients (value default changed to 10). But I cant see increase in hana_bakint log. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @lubimkomvolt 

We don’t need it anymore. Destination clients only look at Commvault’s catalog and source client need not be part of the destination instance. Can you remove the source client and try?

Debug level 10 may be too verbose and doesn’t add any value at HANA application level. You may be good with level 6.

You need to set higher debug level for backint_hana. Please make sure there are no typos.

Thanks,

Sunil

Badge +4

hi Sunil, 

we have tested restore with the source client in destination instance, and also without. But we are getting same result. 

Debug level is now 6, hope it is correct. And output log file is visible in /var/log/commvault/Log_Files/backint_hana.log

Is this correct?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Hi @lubimkomvolt 

Yes, that’s correct. Do you not see that log file?

Thanks,

Sunil

Badge +4

Hello Sunil, 

yes I can see log file and can ready it. Same error as before:

86344 15148 01/30 14:36:11 3297172 ::performRestore() - backint: ERROR: System error: /usr/sap/AB1/SYS/global/hdb/backint/DB_T01/log_backup_0_0_0_0, rc=32: Broken pipe

As if system cannot read the catalog of the other DB. Any advise, what to check or how to proceed? 

As mentioned, restore is done via HANA cockpit or HANA studio. Same results.

Thanks 

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

Are your source SID and tenant DB AB1 and T01 respectively? The catalog file shown in the logs indicate that.

If they are not matching, somehow backint is asking for a wrong path.

Thanks,

Sunil-

Badge +4

yes, SID is AB1 and tenant is T01.

When I look into the path /usr/sap/AB1/SYS/global/hdb/backint/DB_T01/, pipe log_backup_0_0_0_0 is not present. It is created only for a short moment when HANA cockpit is trying to search for or through it. Could that be the issue?

Userlevel 5
Badge +13

It won’t be present locally. This is the file that got backed up to Commvault and when this is being requested by backint again, Commvault searches for this file on Media and restores it.

I think at this point we need more detail to see why this file isn’t found. Can you please raise a ticket?

Thanks,

Sunil-

Badge +4

We have tried restore from Command center with multiple backup files, from different times. No success. Therefore I have opened a case. I will share resolution, in case it is possible to publish.

Badge +4

Hello All, 

solution was pretty simple, as always used to be. Problem was different HANA version. 

Thank you very much for all efforts @Sunil