• 26 replies

Badge +3

Hello everyone,

We are running Commvault 11.28.72.
Now we want to upgrade to 2023E.

I'm trying to download the software via Commcell Console:

Tools tab, Add/Remove Software > Download Software

The download starts and then changes to pending with the following error:

If I try to download 11.30 the same thing happens.

When I upgraded the commcell console from 11.24 to 11.28 it al worked great.

Anyone an idea of what to do?

26 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello @ilse 

Is internet enabled on your commserve? In order to download software, from the commserve, you should able to access cloud.commvault.com via internet. 

For more information, please refer: https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/2705_downloading_commvault_software_using_commcell_console.html

Best,

Rajiv Singal

Badge +3

Yes Internet is available.

It seems like it is downloading software because the CVMedia map shows files, but it is not completed.

I was also able to download the 11.28 software a week ago.

Badge +3

Here is the complete error:

Could not download the file [CVUpdates/11.0.0/BUILD80/SP32_5494260_R1191/linux-x8664/CumulativeUpdatePacks/CU13/\linux-glibc2.3-x86_64\cvsees\cv-sa-cvsolr.tar.gz/F:\SoftwareCache\CVMedia\11.0.0\SP32_5494260_R1191\Unix\linux-x8664\LooseUpdates\CU13\linux-glibc2.3-x86_64\cvsees\cv-sa-cvsolr.tar.gz].
Source: farpwbcs001, Process: DownloadSoftware

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello @ilse 

Can you please share downloadsoftware log from commserver for review? Also, if there is any Antivirus running on the server, please make sure correct exceptions are made under it for Commvault. 

Secondly, please make sure you have enough space available on F:\.

Best,

Rajiv Singal

Badge +3

There is 40GB free diskspace on F:

Here is todays download log.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@ilse,

Looks to be issues with the cache contents. I would recommend to delete the cache contents and run a new download for 11.32.x (you can select the latest MR)

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hello @ilse 

It could be a problem due to the length of the file path for the downloads. if you can change the path to point to something like F:\cvdownload and re-try the download?

Best,

Rajiv Singal

Badge +3

I deleted the cache and started the download again.

The download was now completed successful.

Is it normal the SP32 download only has a folder Windows?
The SP28 folder also has a folder Unix.
Am I missing something?

Badge +3

I think maybe the Unix folder was added later when updating the Media Agents.

Badge +3

two weeks ago I wanted to upgrade from 11.24 to 11.32.
Because for some reason that didn't work, I tested an upgrade to 11.28.
That was successful.

Now, I want to upgrade the commcell from 11.28 to 11.32.
The commcell and media agents (only performed maintanance release, not the OS update and not the storage update) are now on 11.28. the clients are still on 11.24.

Can I upgrade to 11.32?

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@ilse

From the Download Software→ You need to go to advanced and select Unix to download the packages for Unix.

By default, only Windows packages would be selected when you perform the Download operation

Yes, you can upgrade the Commcell, Media Agents from Platform release 11.28 to 11.32. You can update the clients to Platform Release 11.32 at a later time.

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/120502_platform_release_updates.html

Also, Please make sure that the commserve and Media agent meets the below hardware and system requirements

System Requirements and Hardware Specification:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/2801_commserve_server_system_requirements_windows_02.html

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/1645_hardware_specifications_for_commserve_server_01.html

Hardware Specification for Media Agents

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/99175_hardware_specifications_for_mediaagents.html

Badge +3

Thank you all so fare for the help.

Badge +3

One question more:

I think we are running sql manager 2014.

Do I have to upgrade this first to sql 2016/2019?

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

@ilse 

It is better to verify the sql version that is installed on your commserve machine before you proceed with the upgrade

You can run the below query via SSMS to know the SQL version

Select @@version

If it's SQL 2014, It is highly recommend that you upgrade the SQL version to 2019.. 

If it's SQL 2012, then it required complete uninstall sql 2012 and reinstall of SQL server 2019

You can refer to the below thread for more information

Badge +3

Thank you!

I will look into this first.

It seems like an easy sql update from within the program itself I hope.

Any preparation I have to make when it comes to commvault?

Or can I just start the sql update?

I better make a snapshot of the commvault server (windows server 2016) just in case.

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

1) Run a Commserve DR backup for all Database running on the CS server (Commserve, DM2, WFE , History etc)

2) If your Commserve is installed on the VM machine so take the backup of your Virtual Machine as well (Snapshot etc)

3) Please ensure you have disabled the Commvault scheduler,  gracefully stopped CV jobs/services on the Commserve prior to patching SQL server.

4) After Patching Start CS services and enable the Scheduler from Commserve GUI and monitor the Backup jobs.

Note: The SQL server 2019 packages will be available in the Full Media kit--> ThirdParty --> MSSQL folder

Badge +3

I made a downloadpackage of 11.32 like this:

Now I see this in de file folder:

I assume this is the correct download of sql2019?

How do I start this software, do I click the file above or do I log on into SQL Manager and start an upgrade from there?

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

I am assuming that you would have selected the below highlighted option while downloading the full media Kit

MS SQL 2019 packages will be located under the \Windows\ThirdParty\MSSQL\SQL_Standard_Edition Folder

To start the upgrade, you need to run the setup.exe.

Badge +3

Yes, I chose the full  media kit:

This is wat the download contains:

Where can I find the Thirdparty folder?

Badge +3

Sorry, I found it:

Badge +3

PS: This is the version we have now:

Badge +3

I will give the update a try later on and will let you know the outcome.

Thank you in advance.

Badge +3

One question,

Am I reading this right

Upgrading Microsoft SQL Server Editions on the CommServe Computer (commvault.com)

The CommServe software will be uninstalled??

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

If you are upgrading from SQL Server 2012 Enterprise  to SQL Server 2019 Standard , Then SQL Server needs a complete uninstall and reinstall including Commvault software

Unfortunately for SQL Server 2012 Enterprise there is no direct path since all the new versions in use are based in SQL Server Standard, which doesn’t have a direct in-place upgrade path and will require a reinstall of SQL Server anyway.

Since you are on SQL Server 2014 Standard Edition, The upgrade to SQL Server 2019 Standard Edition should happen seamlessly without uninstallation of SQL Sever or CommServe Software.

Badge +3

When I start the setup.exe, there is a screen that shows a produkt key.

It was filled automatically with a Key.

is this the right Key? It looks like a standard key that is used everywhere.

I am trying to check the Produkt Key myself that we are using right now, but in the registry the produkt key is encrypted.