Solved

3DFS Share for a NDMP Intellisnap Backup Copy

Badge +4
I have some "NAS/network shares" with different backup types (network share CIFS/NFS or NDMP).The backup copies for shares using FileSystem Agent via "Network Share" can use 3DFS and those using NDMP once cannot use 3DFS. Unfortunately, I have a requirement/need to be able to use 3DFS. How can I share backups of NDMP NAS shares via 3DFS? Am I missing something, is there a setting or do I have to live with it?
icon

Best answer by Jos Meijer 12 May 2022, 05:57

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

As far as I know 3DFS can be used only with NAS based on file system agent:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/104061_creating_nfs_or_cifs_share_from_commcell_console.html

Quote:

"You can export the backup data as a network share from the CommCell Console. The selected Network Storage server exports the backup data as NFS and CIFS shares to the specified network clients.

The following agents support network share creation from the CommCell Console:

- UNIX file system clients

- Windows file system clients

- NAS clients for file system"

If you need additional info on how to, here is a nice explanation:

https://commvaultondemand.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/ODLL/pages/348979206

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi @Pascal Zach 

Do you mean 3dfs using Commvault mount path sharing via dataserver iP?

Where does your NDMP backups write to? 

Badge +4

Hello @Jos Meijer,

that only FS Agents can support creating network shares is exactly what I found and see but need something more. The following note describes my problem and the limitation again very clearly.
NOTE: Only file system backups are currently supported by this function. Application agent backups are not.

Other agent types may be available in future releases.

Badge +4

Hello @Jordan,

yes, that’s what it’s all about.

My NDMP backups write to a disk library, which I wanted to create the share from. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Pascal Zach , following up on this one.  If there’s a feature you’d like to see implemented, open a support case and see if you can get a CMR accepted and created.

Badge +4

@Mike Struening: Thank you for your response. I am aware that I can create a CMR for this.