Skip to main content

Hi Commvault gurus,

Could you please advise me on how to add a new Media Agent to an existing backup infrastructure? What am I missing: there is usually a Global Deduplication Storage Pool that has a MediaAgent with its own Deduplication Database (DDB) with one or more partitions on local disks.

How can additional MediaAgents access the already existing Deduplication Database partitions, which together with the Storage Library and MediaAgent, create the so-called Storage Pool? After installing the MediaAgent package, is it enough to click on the Deduplication Storage and add the Media Agents to the existing Storage Pool? In general, what are the best practices when extending the infrastructure?

Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

Hi @drPhil ,

Thank you for reaching out to us.

If you can either have data paths configured after sharing the mount path with another media agent or have a nother DDB partition hosted on the other media agent.

If we have data paths, another media agent will try to reach out to the media agent which is hosting the DDB partition for DDB lookup.

If we have 2 different DDB partitions, the media agents can also try to reach out the other media agents for DDB lookup.

Do let me know if you have any other queries.

Regards,

Suleman

HI @SMD,

in CommandCenter I’m missing the options to extend or relocate existing DDBs in the infrastructure.

on Storage → Disk or Storage → Cloud I can create a Storage Pool, but this has as many DDB partitions as added, when created.

Lateron I don’t find any option to move a partition to a new MediaAgent or add additional MediaAgents to the Pool

(at least not in V11.32 / 2023E or V11.34 / 2024)

MediaAgents can be added to the storage paths used by a Pool, when selecting the Pool → Backup Locations (formerly referred to as Disk / Cloud Library mount paths)

Can you tell how to achieve modification to the existing DDBs, created as part of a Storage - Disk or Storage - Cloud Object ?

rgds
Klaus

@SMD Thank you so much for your input!

If I understand correctly, in order to integrate a new Media Agent into the existing Storage Pool (with a Global Deduplication Database), it is sufficient to share the mount paths of the (disk) storage library, and the new Media Agent will be able to access the deduplication database hosted on the existing Media Agent? Is the following documentation page appropriate for the given purpose?

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.16/sharing_mount_path_using_dataserver_ip.html

Hi @drPhil ,

Yes, that is correct. SHaring can be network/data-serverIP or regular.

Regards,

Suleman

Thanks, @SMD, for your contribution to this thread. My conclusion is that after installing the Media Agent package on the server (assuming everything is set up from the hardware/physical connection standpoint), it is sufficient to add the Media Agent under the given Disk Storage Pool (right-click → Add → Add Media Agent option)