Solved

Adding extra drives to existing tape library issue

• 27 September 2021
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Hello, Everyone

How are you, today?

I have a problem i am trying to resolve. I don't know if anyone can be of help.

So, this customer has a tape library with 3 drives but 5 slots. They had 3 existing 3 drives which is running fine. They just added 2 more drives to be configured. I have been trying to detect and configure the drives but i can see them (it says undetected, unconfigured). It says SCSI adapter has been removed, Please go to property page to select the right scsi. Can you help, please? Eventually i detected and configured one of the drives, but can’t detect the last one. During the detect an configure scan, the 5th drive shows but in the data path and library, it does not show.

icon

Best answer by Mubaraq 6 October 2021, 11:33

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hey @Mubaraq , thanks for posting!

It sounds like you’re seeing this message:

Cannot detect Library [<Library Name>] - SCSI adapters have been added to or removed from HOST [<hostname>], or libraries are not being detected properly. Please go to Properties Page to select the right SCSI address or correct the detection problem.

Cannot detect Drive [<drive name>] - SCSI adapters have been added to or removed from HOST [<hostname>], or drives are not being detected properly. Please go to Properties Page to select the right SCSI address or correct the detection problem.

I have a few tasks to try (I’m assuming the OS sees the drives).

Attempt 1:

Run an Exhaustive Detection

Attempt 2:

-We attempted a reboot of the library -We ran lsscsi which showed the medium changer -Armtool then showed the library -Detecting confirmed in the GUI as well -Reset the library in the GUI which came online

Let me know if either of those get that 5th drive up (and confirm it shows up in the GUI so we know it’s just a detection issue in CV).

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Also, if it’s a SAN-attached device, make sure multipathing is properly set on the server(s) you’re trying to configure them.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

@Mike Struening Thank you…….That’s the exact error…..I tried to run Exhaustive Detection but it says the earlier configured drives will be deconfigured.

I am not so sure about resetting the library, it will unmount all the media mounted in the drives.

I am connecting with them, tomorrow. Will try and work around your suggestions.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Mubaraq , keep us posted.  The first thing to do is to confirm that the OS sees the library and drives (if it doesn’t, we won’t either).

Otherwise, give those a go and update us after :sunglasses:

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

@Mike Struening I will definitely give an update.

Userlevel 3
Badge +10

Hello, @Mike Struening 

It turned out that the last drive could not be seen by the OS due to a bad cable.

The other four have been configured and are fully accessible.

Thank you to everyone that contributed

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Thanks for getting back to provide us with the root cause, @Mubaraq , glad it was only a hardware solvable issue :wink:

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Ditto, thanks for sharing the solutionm @Mubaraq !!