Badge +3

Howdy folks,

Our current environment:

One on-prem mediaagent connected to SAN for primary backups
One off-site mediaagent with storage and jbod for DR
One Commserve
265TB of deduplicated data, 1 DDB, nearly 11PB of undeduplicated data

Our goal:

We want to add a second on-prem mediaagent (with its own DDB and index cache) to work in tandem with our current primary mediaagent. Our idea/hope/goal is that both on-prem mediaagents (one existing, one new) would be under the same storage, deduplication, and copy policies and Commserve would load-balance jobs between the two. Both of these would then copy over to our third (existing) off-site mediaagent.  We met with our Commvault rep during purchasing of the new mediaagent and he said it would be possible, but didn’t give us any specifics. Now that installation/setup is here, I can’t find any documentation on how to actually accomplish this. I’ve found everything I need to prepare for installation, and install the Commvault software on the mediaagent, but nothing beyond that (unless I want to start from scratch). I found one page that documents how to add a mediaagent to an existing global dedupe storage policy, but its only for Unix ma’s. I haven’t found anything on how to integrate a new (Windows) mediaagent into an existing (Windows) environment. Can someone point me in the right direction? Any assistance would be appreciated!

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @rebajs 

Thanks for the great question. The following goes over how to expand a DDB to have more partitions. When creating them you will just select the new MA and location on the MA as a DDB path. 
https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/configuring_additional_partitions_for_deduplication_database.html

Only thing to note is you should add the media agent into the sharing tab of each mount path first so it is able to access the library without issue. 

Kind regards

Albert Williams

Badge +3

Hi Albert,

Thanks for replying. Should I share the mount paths between the two with read only access, or read/write?

Once that is done, is the next step adding the new mediaagent to the global deduplication policy storage pool? Or does sharing mount paths and adding the DDB partition do this part?

Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @rebajs 

You should not have to touch the Global DDB SP. Its data paths will auto update when you provide the media agents the access to the library. 

You should provide the MA’s read and write access to the library mount paths from the sharing tab if you want then to perform the writes. It is more efficient to have it this way.  

Kind regards

Albert Williams