Solved

Aux Copy - Determining if Disk Read Optimized Copy or Network Optimized Copy is being used

• 24 July 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge +4

Hi Community,

With reference to the following post where there is no longer an option to select:

https://community.commvault.com/topic/show?tid=5967&fid=49

Is there a way to confirm which option is being selected for an Aux Copy Operation?  I would like to confirm because I would assume that when copying between 2 cloud libraries, Disk Read Optimized copy would be more efficient and cheaper in cost being that each block does not need to be read to generate the signature - or at least that's the way I read doco.  Would there be an entry in logs to determine this?

Thanks in advance for the advice/assistance.

icon

Best answer by Arunkumar P 24 July 2023, 15:10

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

Hi @G.lee 

Here is some background info regarding both the types, hope this helps:

Disk and Network Optimized DASH Copy Disk optimized, which is the default setting, should always be used when the source library is using Commvault® deduplication.

Network optimized should only be used if the source library is not using Commvault deduplication.

Disk optimized DASH Copy will extract signatures from chunk metadata during the auxiliary copy process which reduces the load on the source disks and the MediaAgent since blocks do not need to be read back to the MediaAgent and signatures generated on the blocks.

Network optimized DASH Copy reads all blocks required for the auxiliary copy job back to the MediaAgent, which generates signatures on each block.

To schedule an auxiliary copy job as a DASH Copy, first go to the Secondary Copy Properties Deduplication tab and, from the Advanced subtab, select the ‘Enable DASH Copy’ check box.

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@G.lee - I would recommend logging a case with us to check this further.