Solved

Aux Copy from WORM mode enabled cloud storage to another bucket is possible?

• 16 March 2022
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello All,

I have a S3 bucket with object lock enabled and WORM mode is enabled on this storage using the workflow. 

May I use this WORM mode enabled copy as source copy for another aux copy target?

Regards

Ananth

icon

Best answer by Orazan 16 March 2022, 16:42

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Ananth,

Good morning.  Yes you should be able to use a worm copy as the source for an Aux Copy. 

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello @Orazan ,

Thanks for your reply.

For example, if I have 30 days retention on storage policy copy which is writing to WORM mode enabled cloud storage(with object enabled) the DDB will be sealed after 30 days and new DDB will be created with new base line. 

With the above scenario on mind and if I am unable to aux copy the jobs prior to DDB seal will I be able to do aux copy once the DDB is sealed.

Regards

Ananth

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Yes you should be able to Aux Copy the data if the DDB is sealed.  

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello @Orazan ,

I have one more question: Is there any possibility that we will be able to change the retention of existing backup jobs on WORM mode enabled cloud storage and are we good to change the retention on Storage policy copy?

Regards

Ananth

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

@Ananth - You can only change retention on a WORM copy up, not down in days.  To go down you would need to remove the WORM setting via the legal workflow required.

Userlevel 1
Badge +8

Hello @Orazan 

Is it the same process for the WORM mode on cloud storage as well? and what about the jobs I already have on the bucket will I able to extend the retention at job level from our console as we do for the normal copies?

Regards

Ananth

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

For cloud data, the WORM lock days on the bucket should be double of what we have in Commvault if deduplicated.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/9251_configuring_worm_storage_mode_on_cloud_storage.html

• Optionally workflow can set WORM retention at the cloud bucket/container level as follows:

• For deduplication enabled storage pools, retention (or the WORM lock days) at the bucket/container level is set to twice the retention value set at the storage pool. For example, if retention is set for 60 days in the storage pool then at the bucket/container level, retention is set to 120 days.

• For non-deduplicated storage pools, retention will be set to the same number of days in the bucket/container as that of the storage pool. For example, if retention is set for 60 days in the storage pool, then retention at the bucket/container is also set to 60 days.

Manually extending retention would require you to extend the WORM retention in the cloud or the cloud will age blocks that CV expects to keep.