Question

AUX. to DDVE

• 10 January 2024
  • 1 reply

Badge +8

1, Commvault support Data domain from 11.32,  it only support DD hardware, or also support DDVE(Data domain virtual edition)?

2, I write my primary copy to cloud library(Azure storage account), any chance to run AUX. copy to Data domain, want to see my secondary copy on DD

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Hello @xiwen 

Thanks for the great question's!

Question 1: 
My understanding on DDVE is limited but once it is all configured from a operating systems perspective the storage is going to show up like any Data Domain. Commvault supports Data Domain as a storage target and Commvault would have no understanding that the DDVE is not just like any other Data Domain storage. 

Some considerations to make is that Commvault has different optimizations depending on the storage target and cloud is treated very different to disk when it comes to block size on write and such. Having us think it is a DD when in reality it is a cloud storage in the back end could result in performance. I have not seen this implemented before but it is my first thought that comes to mind when running something like this. 

Question 2: 
You can read your data and write it anywhere you would like to by just creating new copies in the storage policy or plan and hitting the go button. 
Video on how to set it up in the Command center: 
https://vimeo.com/763781185

Only consideration i would think about is what MA is going to be read and writing the data, if it is Deduped and if there is a cost to reading the data. If you have taken all of this into account then go ahead and let her rip :D

Hope this has answered your questions! 

Kind regards

Albert Williams