AuxCopy free space is less than primary

• 22 March 2022
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

We  have 2 Synology 24TB storage libraries, one for the primary and the other at another site for the AuxCopy.

The primary has Free Space 15.34TB, Size on Disk 8.59TB, Total Application Size 30.5TB.

The AuxCopy has Free Space 3.62TB, Size on Disk 20.33TB, Total Application Size 30.33TB

Shouldn’t the AuxCopy be an exact replica of the Primary?  Why would it be larger?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Larry

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

4 replies

Badge +3

Appears I don’t have dedupe enables on the Copies.   I see the properties and Deduplication is grayed out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Appears I don’t have dedupe enables on the Copies.   I see the properties and Deduplication is grayed out.

That would do it.

If you do create a new copy with dedupe enabled, ensure you select ‘space optimized copy’. There is a phenomenon where active streams can’t deduplicate against each other (sort of like a race condition) which causes the baseline to be larger. In its most basic terms - that setting helps to randomize the streams better to avoid like for like data copying at the same time.

Badge +3

Thanks for the response Damian,

If I enable Deduplication on the Copy will the current copies still be unduplicated?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@lgriswold you’ll need to create new copies altogether (which would leave the existing copy undeduplicated).

Following the advice @Damian Andre  provided, create another copy with the same retention settings while using your existing Aux Copy as the source, and once it is complete, set the source Aux Copy retention to Spool.