We are using Azure Cold data to store our off-shite copies. We have been using this from last several years. Lately, we decided to use Azure Combined storage and planned to move/copy data from Azure cold to Archive storage. After having a discussion with Commvault, we implemented what was suggested but this process seems to be really slow and case is now escalated to Dev. Being honest, we are seeing terrible delay from their side too.
I am question is now, If instead of using aux copy to copy the jobs from cold blob to the combined tier library, what if we changed the tier of cold blob from cool to combined tier? If we did that, would the data convert to archive, or would that only effect new data written to that storage?
When the data is written it is tagged with the storage class so changing the tier will only affect new data written. Creating a new bucket with the new tier and Aux Copying the data to it will tag it with the new tier class.
Thanks Orazan. Actually we are using the same approach where a media server is built on cloud along with Azure Combined storage and moving/copying data using Aux operation; however it seems to be really slow. Last year Dec 2021, we raised a case with Commvault but it is still open and we are not getting what we actually looking for to resolve this issue and speed up the Aux. There is no network issue from our side.
Please provide the case number for the current case. That will allow me to get more details about the issue you are seeing.
We are using 11.24.43. If you have access to case, i would request you to check their as we do see different speed on different time
Since we have stated this projected, we have upgraded our infra 2 times. Upgrading infrastructure is not the solution. Moreover, vulnerability which you are talking is already been taken care. We installed the required package as soon Commvault released that notification. We used to MSP based client so we were instructed to install those patches on priority.
What makes you state updating is not the solution? How do you know for sure? Installing an maintenance release is a pretty easy task. You also patch your operating systems on a monthly base, right? Great that you have the hotfixes in place, but do mind other components are being updated as well as part of maintenance release like supporting opensource tools and libraries.
Anyway I'm not saying it will solve your issue straight away, but there are around 700 changes, updates and fixes waiting for you. But in the end it is not ok that you case is open already for such a long time without noticeable progress…..
Even we plan to upgrade to desired version, we have to plan for this. A proper windows needs to be setup and even after that there is no difference then i do not know what to say. This has been escalated to Dev as well. They came back with some changes and we did question them back as there was 100% chances to do some human error while following those changes. Anyways, there is no answer as of now from Dev side too.