Solved

Backup DDB to tape?

• 8 December 2021
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

Is there any reason (technical or best practise) why the DDB policy can’t backup to tape?

It’s defaulted to our disk library which is on the same MA as the DDB.

Tape feels a bit safer :grinning:

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 8 December 2021, 19:22

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Only thing I can think of is that if you need to do a recon, would you want to have to hunt down the barcodes needed?  Not to mention there’s now a delay involved (while your backups sit and wait)…..

I’d have to look to see if it is explicitly forbidden in the product, though I’d think in practice, you’d want the backups on disk for any restores that are needed ASAP.

Edit: you can use tape:

• DDB Backups are supported on all storage libraries. (disk, cloud, tape). However, note that DDB backups are not recommended on Archive Object Storage, like S3 Glacier/Deep Archive, Azure Archive and Oracle Archive.

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.25/expert/12504_deduplication_database_backup.html

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

@Mike Struening thanks I may look at that :grinning:

On a related note I have my DDB SSD mounted as a mount path not a drive letter so it appears under C:\DDB though it’s a dedicated partition on a different physical disk.

I don’t appear able to change the COW VSS volume to the SSD on the DDBBackup subclient as it only shows drive letters and it looks like it’s making the snapshot on a spinning disk volume that’s part of the disk library and mounted under C:\DiskLib.

How can I make it create the snapshot using the SSD for speed as it seems daft that it’s using a slow volume.

Do I have to give it a drive letter rather than use a mount path?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

hi @Paul Hutchings ,

During the DDB backup, a VSS snapshot is taken from the volume/location hosting your DDB, and is “mounted” (through vss I quess) to the volume hosting your storage Mount Path to achieve an accurate DDB backup

Userlevel 6
Badge +18

Is there any reason (technical or best practise) why the DDB policy can’t backup to tape?

It’s defaulted to our disk library which is on the same MA as the DDB.

Tape feels a bit safer :grinning:

There’s no reason to change the location of the DDB backup.  If you’re worried about the disk library failing, having the DDB on tape isn’t going to be useful for anything.  You cannot do anything with the DDB on its own, so there’s no reason to worry about isolating its backups.

Thanks,
Scott