Solved

Best Way to Confirm Combined Storage Tiers Functioning

• 19 July 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge +5

What’s the easiest way to confirm a Cool/Archive cloud library is working? I have migrated data from a Hot storage blob container. I provisioned an additional storage container as Hot in Azure and provisioned it as Cool/Archive as recommended by Commvault. I attempted a restore of a file from this Archive library and the restore just completed as normal without the use of a workflow so I’m worried the data isn’t in the Archive tier as expected.

Any ideas how to confirm the data is actually in Archive and Metadata is in Cool? And why was the restore just standard? 

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 7 October 2021, 19:30

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @Baba Imani !  Can you confirm how you migrated the data?  Was this directly on the cloud library itself, or moving data via an aux copy?  Assuming the latter, you can set the restore copy precedence to the correct copy and do the restore.

If you’re referring to archiving with the cloud itself, then make sure you are restoring from the correct copy (and that the data for that restore would have been archived to a cooler tier),

Badge +5

Hi @Baba Imani !  Can you confirm how you migrated the data?  Was this directly on the cloud library itself, or moving data via an aux copy?  Assuming the latter, you can set the restore copy precedence to the correct copy and do the restore.

If you’re referring to archiving with the cloud itself, then make sure you are restoring from the correct copy (and that the data for that restore would have been archived to a cooler tier),

Hi Mike,

Yes the data was migrated within the cloud from cloud library (hot) to cloud library (Cool/Archive) via aux copy. When I select Browse and Restore, I can see the Copy Precedence is on the correct copy. What I’m just worried about is why is the data doing a normal restore rather than perhaps asking to use a Archive Recall Workflow of some sort. I want it to do more to confirm the data is actually in the Archive tier

Badge +5

Ok now I’m getting this error. Does this mean the index needs to be recalled?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Yes, though the restore should be pulling the index for you (or requesting media, etc.).

To confirm, is the data across tiers within a single Aux Copy, or do you have separate aux copies for each tier?

Looking at the entire picture, I think you may have an issue with how it is set up (or something else is not triggering).

I would actually advise you create a support incident as we really need to check every piece of the restore attempt and possibly the setup which is not feasible on the community.

Share the case number with me once you do so I can track it.

I also want to add that I sure am happy you decided to test this NOW vs. in a real restore scenario!  Well done!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The cloud test tool can show you the contents of a cloud library and also shows the tier they are stored on:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/9228_cloud_test_tool.html

Once data is in cold/archive tier, it has to be recalled because it becomes inaccessible to read until it gets moved back to a higher tier. By default, you need to recall it manually using the recall workflow, but you can automate this by assigning the workflow to trigger with an alert event.

I would recommend you read all about it here in the docs to understand how it all works: https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/9218_restoring_data_from_archive_cloud_storage.html

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Confirming resolution:

No data will get orphan on the hot tier as the life cycle policy on the cloud side will move these back automatically if the Recall fails to do so.