Solved

Cloud Storage prediction

• 1 February 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi All,

Currently we are maintaing the below retention policy for all data type. The Primary copy stored in the On-Prem and Aux copy moving to Tape.

Daily Backup - 35 days (On-Prem and Cloud)

Weekly Full - 6 Weeks (On-Prem and Cloud)

Montlhly Full - 1 Year (Cloud)

Annual Full - 5 Years (Cloud)

Now, there is a proposal to change the Retention for Daily and weekly to 90 days and 12 weeks respewctivily in the cloud alone.

I want to predict the following factors.

1. What is my daily data change rate
  2. What is the expected immediate storage growth due to propossed retention
  3.  How much I need to pay additionally according new policy.

Hope most of you came across the situtaion and looking some inptu to calculate the values.

icon

Best answer by Jordan 2 February 2022, 00:36

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

3 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi @Manikandn 

1. What is my daily data change rate - you may want to check DDB size on disk growth over time to gauge approximately what the growth rate and thus change rate is currently. 
  2. What is the expected immediate storage growth due to propossed retention - expect up to 1.5-2x current disk usage due to the doubling of retention
  3.  How much I need to pay additionally according new policy. - you will need to calculate this yourself based on your current cost x 1.5-2X
Userlevel 1
Badge +7

Hi @Manikandn 

1. What is my daily data change rate - you may want to check DDB size on disk growth over time to gauge approximately what the growth rate and thus change rate is currently. 
  2. What is the expected immediate storage growth due to propossed retention - expect up to 1.5-2x current disk usage due to the doubling of retention
  3.  How much I need to pay additionally according new policy. - you will need to calculate this yourself based on your current cost x 1.5-2X

Hi Jordan,

Thanks for your reponse.

Regarding calculat teh stairage growth, I am looking a some kind of calcualtion method or tool to calculate the storage requirment based on retention change. For example,I want to provide a requirment, in case they asking me to extend the daily backup retention to 5 years.

previously i have shared the rought requirment and the exact requirment is different.

Mani 

Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi @Manikandn 

There are no publicly available tool for what you want although I do understand our Commvault’s Professional Services team can provide this service for a fee. May be best to check with your Account Manager on local pricing etc.

Thank you