Question

Commvault Free Space vs Size on Disk

Badge +1

Can you please explain me why there is a space - but the same time it is occupied on disk?

10 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi @Pavle ,

Can you please elaborate a bit more on your concern ? 

If you are conderned about Data written and size on disk

Data Written

Net data written by backup jobs. With deduplication, this is the total data written by current valid jobs after deduplication savings.

Size on Disk

Total size occupied on disk. With deduplication, this includes the data written AND the size occupied by aged jobs that are still referenced by other valid job.

ref: Viewing Disk Library Summary (commvault.com) 

Regards,

Suleman

Badge +1

Hi @suadhm 

I am more about free space and size on disk.

As you can see we have 4 storage path and 2 reports correctly the sizes and 2 aren’t i have feeling that this space can be reclaimed or is not used.

Please check size on disk vs free space.

Am I correct and how to gain the difference between size on disk and real disk occupation?

Thanks  

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi @Pavle ,

I do not see the diffeence in free space. Seems to be displayed correctly.

Size on disk cannot be reduced as contains Total size occupied on disk. With deduplication, this includes the data written AND the size occupied by aged jobs that are still referenced by other valid job.

Here we also see sparse support is enabled, therefore running a space reclamation job will not help much.

But if needed you can run a space reclamation job with option “Clean orphan data” and level 4.

Performing a Space Reclamation Operation on Deduplicated Data (commvault.com)

regards,

Suleman

Badge +1

Hi @SMD 

I am still not getting, sorry :)

Mount Path 1 - total disk size is 63TB - size on disk is 29TB = ideally free space needs to be 34TB but it is 11TB instead.

On Mount path 3 and 4 it is more less accurate:

Mount Path 3 - 63TB - 53TB = 12TB which is also not exact

Mount Path 4 - 63TB - 50TB = 12TB which is also not exact

Maybe i am missing point - my understanding is that Size on DISK is total size of DD + difference data of the jobs.

Pavle 

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi @Pavle

Ok, I understand the concern now.

In this case you will have to validate if there is any data on the mount path 1 and 2. There might be some other data which is consuming space apart from commvault.

Regards,

Suleman

Badge

Hi @SMD 

That’s the tricky part comes in :) there is nothing except commvault folder:

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi @Pavel,

Thank you for the update!!

seems like it is a network drive, network path utilisation is 51.2 TB. Can we also confirm utilisation of the commvault folder ?

Regards,

Suleman

Badge

Hi @SMD ,

Became even more complex :) i assume the size is wrong due to storage which underneath runs ZFS - zfs is known for the wrong size reportings.

From the storage interface it also reports the same size as disk size 51-53TB.

I think to take size on disk as reference then still unclear where are 20TB lost? or something wrong with commvault reporting.

Pavle

Userlevel 2
Badge +9

Hi @Pavle ,

Thank you for the update.

Can you go inside the folder and the size of CV_MAGNETIC alone ? this will give us a clear understanding of the issue.

Regards,

Suleman

Badge

Hi @SMD,

Here you are - folder size almost equal - the difference is because some backups are running there.

But i can say same as a disk and upper folder size.