Skip to main content
Question

Cycles and Days Retention with Compliance Lock for Decommissioned Clients

• 24 July 2024
  • 1 reply

After the recent recommendation notice, we’re looking to turn on Compliance Lock for our air-gapped Aux Copy, which uses Metallic Recovery Reserve as the cloud storage.

The copy currently has a retention set to 28 days and 2 cycles.

Our VM backups are set to back up via datastore, with Commvault automatically assigned each VM as it’s own “subclient”.  I’m seeing situations where a VM is deleted from VMware and the backup is being kept in the aux copy because it’s trying to retain 2 cycles, even though the server no longer exists.  We obviously would not want this to happen when Compliance Lock was turned on as there would be backups for decommissioned servers hanging around forever.  I’m guessing something similar would happen for other server that do have their own clients, were you to try and remove them.

Does anybody know the best way to deal with retention in this scenario?

Thanks

1 reply

Badge +1

I found the following thread asking a similar question to myself: Worm copies cycles | Community (commvault.com)

It looks as though the following setting would need to be applied in Control Panel > Media Management> Data Aging: 

It looks as though individual VMs can be marked as inactive via the pseudo subclients that are created under the vcenter in Client Computer Groups.

I guess my question at this point is to ensure that if you disable a client that this setting is honoured by Commvault and not treated as “changing the retention”?

Also, are there any other settings that we need to consider that are gotchas when enabling Compliance Lock?