Solved

Data Pruning on Cloud Storage Pool with Hardware WORM Enabled

• 17 June 2022
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Hi All,

We’ve created new aux copies to a newly created cloud storage, with Hardware WORM enabled on it.

The aux copies use Dedup, the retention on the copies is set to 15 days, and on storage, the WORM lock is set to 30 days on the bucket level.

We also run the “Enable WORM storage” workflow to seal the DDB after 15 days.

1. How data aging is working in this case ?
  2. How data is pruned from the storage ?
  3. After the copy retention has aged, how the MA can prune the data from the storage when the WORM retention is still active on that particular object ?
  4. If it cannot be pruned after 15 days, and the MA has to wait for another 15 days (In order for the 30 days WORM storage to expire), can the data still be pruned after 30 days ?

Any clarifications on how this process works would be great :)

Thanks.

icon

Best answer by Collin Harper 17 June 2022, 22:54

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @Commvault Engineer 

1. Data will age normally according to the storage policy retention
  2. Since Micro-Pruning is not supported, all of the cycle’s data will Macro-Prune (all at once) once the WORM lock has expired.
  3. We can prune the data once the hardware allows us to based on the WORM lock period

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Hello @Commvault Engineer 

1. Data will age normally according to the storage policy retention
  2. Since Micro-Pruning is not supported, all of the cycle’s data will Macro-Prune (all at once) once the WORM lock has expired.
  3. We can prune the data once the hardware allows us to based on the WORM lock period

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks, Collin, for your prompt feedback.

To make sure that I got everything right, the data aging job will still prune the data on the storage after the WORM lock on the storage has ended ? I mean, it will still recheck the jobs that aged 15 days before but didn’t get pruned due to the WORM lock on the storage level ?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @Commvault Engineer 

Correct. Data aging will still run and pruning still still be attempted but you would see errors in the prune logs (due to the WORM).

After (in this example) 30 days (when the object lock expires) that 15day cycle will be pruned since the storage is allowing it based on the worm lock retention.

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Correct. Data aging will still run and pruning still still be attempted but you would see errors in the prune logs (due to the WORM).

After (in this example) 30 days (when the object lock expires) that 15day cycle will be pruned since the storage is allowing it based on the worm lock retention.

Thanks a lot Collin, I was afraid that enabling WORM on storage side, would make issues with Data Aging which will fill it up real quick and end up with no more space on the storage.

Userlevel 3
Badge +12

Hi Collin,

Thanks again for your prompt feedback regarding my concerns.

I had another question @Collin Harper , if possible. Is there any way to verify if jobs are pruned correctly from the CommServe ? Or from MA logs ? Just to be sure that jobs are pruned properly and freeing up space on the storage level.

Kind regards.