Solved

Drive in which Media is mounted is not ready to use

• 28 February 2022
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi all,

in the Job Controller there is a waiting backup job due to the following error message:

"Drive in which Media is mounted is not ready to use. Advice: Please retry your operation later. If the drive has a stuck volume, reset the drive to recover the media."

As proposed, I tried to "reset drive", but it didnt help. The tape seems to be stuck in the drive.

Do you have any suggestions what to try next to work it out?

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 2 March 2022, 17:26

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Is it just one job, or are all jobs having this issue, also can you try recycling the MA services if that makes a difference?

Curious also, can the tape library be seen from the OS level, if that's missing then the MA in CV will have the same issue

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Is it just one job, or are all jobs having this issue, also can you try recycling the MA services if that makes a difference?

Curious also, can the tape library be seen from the OS level, if that's missing then the MA in CV will have the same issue

Hi @Hyder , it is just only one backup job and one tape/drive affected. It could be a good idea to try to restart the CV services on the MA.

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

I tried "reset drive" from the library interface mamagement as well without any success. Is there any log file, that could be helpful with troubleshooting when the tape medium is stuck in the drive?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@drPhil , try seeing what you can find via tapetoolgui:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/expert/10587_tapetoolgui.html

Then you can look at tapetoolgui.log if need be.

You should be able to unmount the tape, or even confirm there *IS* a tape mounted!

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @Mike Struening , thanks for the input! Fortunately, through the tape library management gui I was able to move the tape from the drive to the I/O slot. However, Commvault still displays, that the tape cartridge is in the drive. What is the best option to say to Commvault to update the current status of the drive and slot occupation? Full scan, Discover Media, Reset library?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Glad to hear it!

In order I would try:

Detect Media - Short and simple

Reset Library - Will force all unmounts, so be sure you don’t need to use the library

Full Scan - This takes a while (potentially) but is as thorough as can be

Userlevel 4
Badge +13

Hi @Mike Struening, thanks for the guidelines! The Reset Library was the right option to force CV to update the current status of the drive and slot occupation. There are no more tape cartridges stuck in the drives. The issue has been resolved!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Awesome, @drPhil !  Glad I have the prescription!

Yes, that was a doctor joke :joy: