Solved

Duplication of tapes for onsite & offsite backup

Badge +1

We currently have 527 tapes in our library (physically in the tape library as well as “offsite”).  I would like to duplicate all of these tapes to store offsite, as well as create duplicates of any new tape moving forward.

I would like to have every tape available in two different physical storage locations.  This way if one of those locations is lost to a natural disaster we don’t lose our backups.

How would I go about achieving this?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

icon

Best answer by Mike Struening RETIRED 6 June 2022, 22:52

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Welcome @WEI IT !

You can create another copy of those tapes by creating a Synchronous Aux copy.

This will create a copy of all of the jobs on the source copy now and going forward:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/expert/11490_additional_copies_of_backup_data.html

Be sure the source copy is your tape copy, and the copy from date in the Aux Copy properties has a ‘copy from’ date that allows for all of the jobs.

This assumes you have enough tapes to duplicate the existing ones, of course.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Badge +1

Thanks for the quick reply Mike!

When we set up the Synchronous Aux Copy, is there a way to differentiate which tapes are to be kept on site and which are to be moved to the offsite location?  Will the Synchronous Aux copy result in each tape being duplicated 1for1 (ie, offsite tape containing the exact same contents as the onsite tape)?

Taylor 

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@WEI IT , the way the Aux copy works (for Synchronous) is that it will create a copy of the unaged jobs, not the tapes.  For example, if a tape has 20 jobs on it, but 10 are aged, the Aux copy will simple copy the 10 unaged jobs; it won’t make a duplicate of the tape.

As for sending tapes offsite and recalling them based on specific criteria, check out Vault Tracker:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.26/essential/107868_vault_tracker.html

Let me know if you have any further questions on the above or VT 😎