Question

Extended Retention media

• 4 December 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +1

I want to configure extended retention for monthly fulls. I would prefer to have the extended full backups written to separate tapes than the regular tape copies so that a large number of tapes filled with mostly aged data are not being tied up. I know I can accomplish this with second tape copy for just the extended fulls. This method writes the full with extended retention to both tape copies. Is there a way to send the extended retention copies to a different set of tapes using on secondary tape copy and therefore, reduce the total number of tapes and at the same time performing only one copy to tape of the extended full backups?

4 replies

Badge +1

Looks like I found the answer:

https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/11635_grandfather_father_son_gfs_data_retention.html

• Perform incremental backups daily and full backup weekly to the primary copy (Retention can be set to 30 days)

• Create a selective copy for the monthly full backups (Retention can be set to 365 days)

• Create another selective copy for the yearly full backups (Retention can be set to infinite)

This method creates separate copies of data which may be useful for long-term storage requirements.

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

HI @Jack COA ,

That is the way. Aux Copies could be either “Synchronous”,which means all backup will be copied. Or “Selective", where you can decide which backups will be moved to the copy.

Creating a Selective Copy and configuring only the full backups you need to go to it will cover your needs.

Badge +1

Does this mean the monthly/quarterly/annual selective full copy is not included in the “Synchronous” tape copy? i.e., The selective copies are on separate tapes from the synchronous copies?

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

No, they will also be included in the Synchronous Copies.

Aux Copies are independent from each other and their contents will depend on the Source Copy they take their backups from.