Question

Hello, I have a question regarding the formatting of some tapes.

• 17 June 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge
 I have 3 LTO7 tapes that were previously used for Microfocus Data Protector, then we wanted to use them for Commvault backups. But strange things started to happen with those tapes.1. Commvault recognized them as completely empty tapes, despite having information from the other backup tool.2. When I launched the copies the first 2 were filled with 6TB and 300GB.3. The third tape fills up with 2TB and goes into append state and doesn't let me use it by asking for a new tape.
I already formatted it twice but the same thing keeps happening. But I see that the formatting that it does does not take it to the drive, it only does it at a logical level with the data from Commvault. In Commvault, is there a way to format it and purge all the data to be able to use the tapes in their entirety?

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hello @Canvia 

Commvault cannot read/recognize data on tape from other backup applications, we’ll treat these as scratch tapes and overwrite whatever data exists on these tapes.

Commvault will write data to the tape until we hit the Physical EOF marker on the tape. Make sure that Hardware compression is enabled on the storage policy copies associated with the Tape Library - https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/12330_configuring_hardware_compression.html

Else, if the tape is getting full too soon, you will likely need to reach out to your HW Vendor.