Solved

Hyperscale connection to tape

• 2 August 2021
  • 6 replies

Badge

Hi,

I’m asking if i can add HPE Tape library to the Hyperscale appliance by adding HBA adapter then connect the Tape library direct to to it

icon

Best answer by Justin Wolf 2 August 2021, 16:43

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

Hello Eslam,

What Hyperscale Nodes do you have? 1.5 / X? also are they Reference Architecture?

-In the field previously, I have deployed ref-arch HS nodes (1.5 and X) with FC HBA’s connected to Tape Drives without issue.

Best Regards,

Michael

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

@Eslam Salah 

Yes tape drives/Libraries are fully supported with HyperScale with both FC and SAS connections. Tape drivers are included within the HyperScale and HyperScale X images so in most cases drivers will not need to be installed. See https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/105348_tape_library_support.html for more details.

Badge +3

Hello @Justin Wolf ! Relate to this post. 

I have Hyperscale Nodes 1.5 with Reference Architecture and i would like to connect my librabry within the hyperscale. Do i need to install 1 HBA card on each server or just install only 1 HBA card among these hyperscale servers to backup full data on tape? 

To clarify my question... Do I need to install one HBA card per cluster to make a full backup of data on tape or do I need to install one card on each server hyperscale. What is the best practice? 

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hello @Justin Wolf ! Relate to this post. 

I have Hyperscale Nodes 1.5 with Reference Architecture and i would like to connect my librabry within the hyperscale. Do i need to install 1 HBA card on each server or just install only 1 HBA card among these hyperscale servers to backup full data on tape? 

To clarify my question... Do I need to install one HBA card per cluster to make a full backup of data on tape or do I need to install one card on each server hyperscale. What is the best practice? 

Hello @commvault11 

Ideally you would use iSCSI to circumvent the need for HBAs.
If you need to use SFP or similar, you can installed 1 HBA in one node and use that as the datamover, but you lose failover. Generally best practice is to have 3 nodes each with an HBA for failover datamovers to tape and load balance.

Badge +3

Thank you very much! 

Badge +3

We have a 3 node HSX cluster, FC connected to write to an HPE MSL6480 which requires the RHEL Path Failover driver to be installed. The comment above about ISCSI seems odd to me.