Solved

MA hardware refresh and library mount paths move

• 1 March 2021
  • 2 replies

Badge +1

Hi all,

I’m looking for some steer with regards to a disk library and mount paths move between MediaAgents. I may be over-thinking this but just looking for clarification.

My client has a MediaAgent which to be decommissioned. The mount paths are volumes presented from the SAN which have also now been presented to the new MediaAgent. (Offline in Disk Mgmt on new MA awaiting action).

Is this just as simple as following the Migrate Shared Disk Libraries option in Disk Libraries - Advanced to move the mount paths configuration to the new MediaAgent or are there any gotchas to be aware of?  Normally, I’d just go through a mount path move process but can’t in this case.

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by Stuart Painter 1 March 2021, 15:51

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Hi @JamieK thanks for the question.

If these are mount paths that are simply shared between MAs, then sharing these mount paths with the new MA should be solution.

Here is the Impact of Media Agent Deletion page:
https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=122570.htm

Disk Library or Cloud Library

Condition

Impact of Deletion

When to do?

What to Do?

The mount path is shared with other MediaAgents along with the MediaAgent that you try to delete.

The MediaAgent deletion operation removes sharing with the MediaAgent for the mount path.

No action is needed.

The mount path is shared only with the MediaAgent that you try to delete.

The MediaAgent deletion operation removes sharing with the MediaAgent for the mount path.

Before or after you delete the MediaAgent, mandatory

Share the mount path with another MediaAgent.

For instructions, see Sharing a Mount Path.

If mount paths have already been shared to the new MA, then decommissioning the old MA will simply remove the shares associated with the old MA, leaving mount paths shared on the new MA.

If however, these are physically presented volumes and not shared mount paths, then as you suggested, Migrate Shared Disk Libraries from Storage > Libraries > Disk Libraries > Advanced is the correct procedure:
https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=9319.htm#o9350

Thanks,

Stuart

Badge +1

Thanks @Stuart Painter for the info/confirmation. The original MA has the volumes presented to it and configured as mount paths. As yet, the new MA is active and has only had the same volumes presented to it. Nothing further has been configured.

Thanks,

Jamie