Question

network throttle

• 26 January 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

lets imagine situation

in site A we have 2 MAs:  A1 & A2  and client group A which inside are A1 & A2 

in site B we have 2 MAs: B! & B2  and client group B which inside are B1 & B2

we have AUX copy   which sends data from site A to site B  (mean src MA: A1,A2 and dst MA B1,B2)

so we have4  traffics / streams  A1 > B1 & A1 > B2 & A2 > B1 & A2 > B2

on level of group A i set network throttling X Mbps and select as destination/ remote group B - here important i also checked “All clients share allocated bandwidth”

Mine question is if X network throttle more or less equally touch / control all 4 traffic described above or only in pair by SRC ma : A1> B1 & A1 > B2  and Independently  A2 > B1  & A2 > B2

on numbers if we set X = 20 Mbps we have 

situation1:    A1 > B1 5MBps & A1 > B2 5Mps & A2 > B1 5Mbps & A2 > B2 5 Mpbs  

or

sitaution2   A1 > B1 10MBps & A1 > B2 10Mps  and  A2 > B1 10Mbps & A2 > B2 10 Mpbs

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi Marcin,

When we select the option “All clients share allocated bandwidth”  bandwidth gets divided. 

• All clients share allocated bandwidth

Select this option to allocate to each client or client group you select an amount of bandwidth equal to the total available bandwidth divided by the number of clients and client groups to which this rule applies.

ref: Network Bandwidth Throttling: Options (commvault.com)

So here answer would be situation 1.

i.e A1 > B1 5MBps & A1 > B2 5Mps & A2 > B1 5Mbps & A2 > B2 5 Mpbs  

Regards,

Suleman

Badge +3

are You sure as documentation says 

1. From the CommCell Browser, go to Client Computer Groups.

2. Right-click the client_computer_group and then click Properties.

The Client Group dialog box appears.

3. Click Network > Network Throttle tab.

4. Select the Enable Network Throttling check box.

5. Under the Client Computer Groups node, select the client computer groups to setup throttling.

6. By default, the All clients share allocated bandwidth check box is selected to share the throttling settings among all selected clients cumulatively.

If this check box is cleared, each client will throttle at the configured rate instead of a combined and shared rate.

and in point 6 it says “to share the throttling settings among all selected clients cumulatively.” But words “select” appear only in point 5 “select the client computer groups to setup throttling.”  ….so i understood it that in point 2 You can select client or client group  (source side) and all later is about destination side 

Other words if i made “source” group A with 10 MA’s inside and i will start above instruction on that group A so all settings will propagate from group to it members (10 MA;s) and that it and then all rest of doc is used for destination group B …..mean group A is used only for easier set these settings to avoid clicking 1 by 1 on every of 10 MA’s   and all throotling is for group B …...1 to many ….1 from & every A to Many in B

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi Marcin,

Point 6 is only availble when point 5 is selected. we have understood point 5, which is throttling bandwidth. i.e if we set a bandwidth of 50 mbps, bandwidth for that machine willnot cross 50 mbps.

Similarly if we set at the group level, bandwidth would be propogated to all the machines associated with the client group.

If we select point 6 : Select this option to allocate to each client or client group you select an amount of bandwidth equal to the total available bandwidth divided by the number of clients and client groups to which this rule applies. this means if bandwith is 50 mbps and then we have 5 clients , throttling will happen at 10 mbps for each client.

Regards,

Suleman

Badge +3

but if we set all You said (50Mbps) on group (point 1) of 2 clients (SRC_CL1 & SRC_CL2) and destination is selected group (point 5) of 5 clients (DST_CL1 / 2 / 3 / 4 /5)  so what is limit of throttling 

mean Cv control   SEND throttling on full SRC group 

SRC_CL1 + SRC_CL2 ===> DST_CL1 / 2/ 3/ 4/5 on 50 Mbps

or only (as i understood*)  on SRC_client

SRC_CL1 ===> DST_CL1 / 2/ 3/ 4/5 on 50 Mbps

SRC_CL2 ===> DST_CL1 / 2/ 3/ 4/5 on 50 Mbps

​​​​​​​*- we set that throttling on SRC_group but it only propagate it from group level to SRC client level an then all happen IMO on SRC client level ...we can see that even in network setting  where see    only src client to all dst clients but not src group to dst group