Question

question on cycles and days

• 26 September 2023
  • 3 replies

Badge +5

scenario: I have a WORM storage policy (deduplication enabled) of retention 3 days 1 cycle
I have run 2 full backups to my storage on same day which completed 1 cycle of retention and with deduplication 7 days of retention is added so total (3+7) 10 days of retention. Will my first set of data be deleted on 11th day since it completes retention on both cycles and days or kindly correct if there is any gap in my understanding here ?

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +7

@Lahari - If your retention is 3 days 1 cycle and if you’re running full backup on daily basis then the first full backup should age on the fourth day. 

If you’re running daily incremental and weekly full then the first full backup will be aged on day 10 because the incremental is dependent on the full backups. 

Kindly let me know if you have any queries. 

Badge +5

Hi @Arunkumar P Thank you for your response.

When we enable WORM lock if the retention is selected to be a minimum number an additional 7 days will be added right for the WORM lock ?

Eg: in below example I have only given 2 days for retention but worm lock is set to be for 9 days 

Badge +5

@Arunkumar P 

If I also have a storage policy with deduplication enabled but worm is disabled how would be the behavior, same scenario again 

scenario: I have a storage policy (deduplication enabled) of retention 3 days 1 cycle
I have run 2 full backups to my storage on same day which completed 1 cycle of retention since worm is not enabled there is no addition of retention so my data will be deleted on day 4.

Scenario 2 : I have a storage policy with deduplication enabled with retention of 3 days 0 cycles.

Should my data backup on cloud storage be deleted on day 4.

Could you please confirm if my expectations are correct here