Solved

Refresh arrays with intellisnap

• 16 June 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

Hi team, I need help designing a Commvault configuration for storage infrastructure renovation. We have a customer who has an old netapp storage with two arrays with snapvault and snapmirror between them managed by Commvault with OCUM and all clients using Intellisnap. The customer will refresh the storage arrays by moving SVMs to new arrays, I am not really sure if just moving the SVM will be completely transparent for Comvault transparent for Commvault or will it be necessary to configure the new arrays, the SVMs, and create the replicas from scratch again.

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by tph 16 June 2022, 15:15

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14

HI @CarlosPerez 

The customer would need to configure the new array following the instructions for Configuring the NetApp Array Using Array Management:

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/33767_configuring_netapp_array_using_array_management.html

Please make sure they do not delete the old one from Commvault Array Management until all the Snaps have aged.

Best Regards

Sebastien

Badge +1

Hello @Sebastien Merluzzi 

Thank you for your help.

So then the steps would be the following:

• Update OCUM to latest version
  • Connect new arrays to OCUM
  • Configure new arrays in Commvault
  • Move the SVMs to new arrays
  • When old Snaps get aged, remove the old arrays.

It is not necessary to configure SVMs, storage policies, or replication relationship or anything else, isn't it?

Userlevel 2
Badge +5

Hi @CarlosPerez ,

If you pretend to keep using OCUM, you are on the right direction. The new array will have a new FQDN, also needed to be configured within Array Managament.

Aside from that, in my personal experience, OCUM is not really a advantage in this scenario as it adds another step in the way and potential for additional issues with the OCUM server it self.

IF all of you SVMs, Volumes are managed by Commvault intellisnap, I would instead just walk away from OCUM and use a regular and simple Open Replication which just takes OCUM out of the picture and makes management a lot easier.

Migration from OCUM to Open Replication

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/33785_migration_from_ocum_based_snapshot_replication_to_netapp_open_replication.html

From there, the steps would be about the same, new array configured within Commvault Array Management; add the SVMs to the Snapvault Copy (Storage Policy Copy)…..

I hope that helps.