Solved

Rescanning cloud storage

• 21 June 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

I am testing commvaults connection to Wasabi.

My Wasabi test bucket is object locked, so Commvault can’t delete older data.

To test a loss of commvault database I didn’t configure my commvault jobs to be worm protected.
Consequentially, I was able to delete some jobs, although the data in the Wasabi bucket remains.

I can’t seem to find the option in Commvault to scan the bucket for existing backups to reimport.

Is this not available?

icon

Best answer by Collin Harper 22 June 2023, 22:52

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @Ben Van Doorsselaere 

If the job does not exist within Commvault it cannot be “re-imported” under most circumstances with Disk and Cloud Storage. Once the data has been physically pruned, there is nothing we can do.

Since in this scenario the data still physically exists you can un-age the job.

Un-age a Job from Storage Policy Copy Level - https://documentation.commvault.com/2022e/expert/11933_un_age_job_from_storage_policy_copy_level.html

Thank you,
Collin

Badge +3

Thank you for the reply.

This test was supposed to simulate a hacker compromising our commvault DB, making it necessary to rescan the data that still exists on the unmutable web storage. (similar to a tape?)

I suppose I can avoid this problem by also making a DDB copy to the cloud?

Userlevel 5
Badge +14

Hello @Ben Van Doorsselaere 

For what purpose? You cannot recover the data without the CommServe database. The CommServe would need to be rebuilt and the database restored from a backup before anything from Cloud could be restored. Once the database is restored there is nothing needed to do with the library and no such re-scanning operation exists. The database is what keeps track of what is in the library.

Thank you,
Collin

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The typical recovery from your original scenario would be to restore a CommServe database from prior to the deletion of the jobs. If the jobs are gone from the CommServe database they are unrecoverable unless its on tape (which allows for a re-import process called catalog and merge).