Question

Size on Media vs total Data Written

• 6 February 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +3

Hello

I´m trying to chase down what is actually consuming the storage in our S3 Cloud library(which has increased in an alarming rate the last week).

Size On media is 354Tb, which is more or less exactly what is reported as used in the Netapp Storage array S3 bucket, no issue there.

However, Total Data written is only 116TB

I found this answer to what Size on Media actually means

Size on media is the total volume of all backup data, plus the index data and meta data for all the jobs on that media

It sound crazy that index and metadata should increase storage with 100%

Is it because we are using a cloud library?

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

With Cloud library used sometime reporting is not accurate.

We have to enable the below option 

Also set the below values for the accurate information about cloud utilisation

It usually takes a day for values to reflected. If the issue is still the same you will have to raise an incident.

regards,

Suleman

Badge +3

@Gnaget1891 , Size on media could also include some data which is waiting to be pruned from the storage. Once the pruning has all caught up, it would be updated. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +8

Hello

I´m trying to chase down what is actually consuming the storage in our S3 Cloud library(which has increased in an alarming rate the last week).

Size On media is 354Tb, which is more or less exactly what is reported as used in the Netapp Storage array S3 bucket, no issue there.

However, Total Data written is only 116TB

I found this answer to what Size on Media actually means

Size on media is the total volume of all backup data, plus the index data and meta data for all the jobs on that media

It sound crazy that index and metadata should increase storage with 100%

Is it because we are using a cloud library?

@Gnaget1891 try what @SMD said, that should settle your reporting, give it a couple of days to sync up as you have a lot to report back

Also no, indexing overhead isn’t that noticeable you should be good there

Badge +3

With Cloud library used sometime reporting is not accurate.

We have to enable the below option 

Also set the below values for the accurate information about cloud utilisation

It usually takes a day for values to reflected. If the issue is still the same you will have to raise an incident.

regards,

Suleman

Ok, It was enable, but the number of volumes was only 1000.

I’ve changed it and going to wait and see if anything changes.