Question

Tape backup configure fail

• 11 March 2024
  • 3 replies

Badge +1

My goal is to set up my DB server in CV so that it can be backed up my SQL DB server twice a day on two different tapes from my tape library. Therefore, I intend to use 14 tapes in a week based on my condition.

But the library tape is selecting randomly and not in accordance with the policy, despite my best efforts to schedule it.

I have made scratch group for every day in CV and assigned it to the specific tape thought media in library tab as well as I have given the date path in schedule policy but still my condition is not achievable 

Is there a way that we could resolve this situation?

3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi @Litesh Amberkar 

You can try to set device stream to one to avoid multiple tapes getting picked. This setting will make sure only one tape is picked at a time and will be used untill it is full and then will pick the other tape.

ref:  Setting the Device Streams on a Storage Policy (commvault.com)

Also , we will have to look at the configuration and advice you which will need a remote session, request to you log an incident with us.

Regards,

Suleman

Badge +1

Hi @SMD 

Thank you for your reply and the suggestion but actually I have tried what you suggested, and it does not work. 

Actually, my problem is a little bit different. I want to back up my database client in the tape library so that, based on the barcode, CV will select the particular tape that is assigned to that day for a week, and the following week, on the same day, CV should select the same tape. This means that if I do a backup on Tape -001 today (Tuesday), for example, the same tape should be selected for the backup on Tuesday in the next week. In order to follow the barcode, I will use seven different tapes every week in the following order: 01, 02, 03, etc. (Barcode) The same tape will be used for the next week for the same day as well.

I have been attempting to set up this plan for the past 5 days, but CV is not selecting the designated tape. Despite our best efforts, we were unable to succeed.

So, if there's anything we could be trying that we're missing, do let us know.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi Litesh,

In this case, we will have to create seperate media groups, Seperate storage policies, Seperate backup sets, then it will work as expected.

Regards,

Suleman