Solved

Tape Mirror

• 17 February 2022
  • 9 replies

Userlevel 4

Hello Commvault Community!

I would like to ask you if there is any option to do a "tape mirror". I mean 1:1 copying the data from one tape to another, but keeping the data on both tapes.

I am aware that there is a "Tape to tape copy" option, but if I understand correctly it deletes the data from the source tape and copies it to the new one available in Spare Media.

The reason why the customer wants two copies of the data on two different copies is the security rules of their company, where they must have one tape in the safe and the other in the active Tape Library.

I suggested to make another copy in Storage Policy backup to tape with the source copy from disk, but then we can't be sure that the tapes will be 1:1.

Is there any chance we can make a tape mirror?

Move Contents of Media from One Tape to Another

https://documentation.commvault.com/11.24/expert/10538_move_contents_of_media_from_one_tape_to_another.html

Thanks&Regards,
Kamil

icon

Best answer by Kamil 14 March 2022, 12:12

View original

If you have a question or comment, please create a topic

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

@Kamil , definitely an interesting question/goal.

You can always make a Selective Aux Copy, set it to Manually pick jobs, then manually select the jobs on Tape #1 and the Aux Copy should provide you with another copy of that tape.

Of course, it won’t be an exact clone, and if any aged jobs linger on tape 1, they will be skipped, but overall this should work.

Userlevel 4

@Mike Struening 

Yes, I am aware of the possibility of backing up Storage Policy, but thought there was some solution available on the topic of Media Management. The Selective Copy option is quite time consuming.

Did I describe the operation of the "Tape to tape copy" task well, or is it different?

Regards,
Kamil

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

We don’t really have any option like a ‘clone tape’ ability.  Each tape has to belong to a Storage Policy and a Copy, and we can’t have duplicate media (since there’d be no way to ensure which tape aged off, etc.).

What’s your end goal here?  Lots of jobs copied to new/additional media?  One time, or regularly occurring?

Thanks!

Userlevel 4

Hi @Mike Struening 

The client needs to have identical backups of two identical tapes. At the very beginning, I recommended exactly what you did - creating a Selective copy, but that doesn't meet their expectations.

Well, I have to make them realize that the only solution in this situation is another copy.

---

Please tell me how it is with Tape To Tape Copy.

Does it look like the data from the "source tape" is deleted / marked for pruning or is it left and written to the tape that we selected for the Tape to Tape Copy job?

Regards,
Kamil

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

We wouldn’t delete anything unless the source copy retention says to do so.  You’d just have two tapes with the same job IDs, but belonging to different copies.

Userlevel 4

Sure, got it.

In that case, this is a solution in the aspect of "Tape Mirroring", since we will have both tapes with the same data, it can satisfy them, I guess that's what it was about - to make the same data on two tapes, the only problem, as I understand it, is their retention .

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

The good news is, you can set different retentions per tape if need be.

Userlevel 4

Hi @Mike Struening ,

We performed the Tape to Tape Copy operation and as I assumed, the data from one tape was transferred to the other (indicated by the tape to tape copy operation). So we didn't have tape mirroring because the data was still only on one tape.

At this point, the only thing that remains is the setting with another Secondary Copy under Storage Policy.

Thanks for your help on this topic.

Regards,
Kamil

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Glad to hear it!  Let me know if anything else comes up!