Solved

why require SSD for deduplication ?

• 28 February 2024
  • 22 replies

Badge +5

My query is , why it is recommended the SSD for deduplication ? if the production environment is using SSD, then why backup purpose use SSD. and SSD is high cost ?

icon

Best answer by SMD 28 February 2024, 12:02

View original

22 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi @Keshav Sawant 

The main reason for using SSD for deduplication is because there will be high number of read and write on the DDB partition and if this is slow, all the jobs using that DDB partitions will also be slow. Hence SSD.

Regards,

Suleman

Badge +5

means as you said, read and write performance ratio is high in SSD Right ?

Badge +5

one more query ?

if i want fresh installation commvault data platform release 11.34, then which one require setup ?

because i have checked in commvault store, there is commvault release setup is only 27.09MB

is it correct one or anything else ? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

Hi Keshav,

You will use the following bootstrapper to download the installation media (which would be around 10Gb)

https://support.commvault.com/Download/Package?file=secure%2Fsoftwaredist%2Fcommvault%2F11.0.0%2FFR34%2FCommvault_Media_11_34.exe&fileSize=27.0908203125&sizeUnit=MB

I believe it will be the same you have already seen within the Store. This file will allow you to actually download the installation binaries.

As per your original question, exactly what my colleagues said, deduplication is a really intensive task, we need extremely fast disk with as high IOPS as possible to ensure there are no delays during the deduplication process that will delay the backup operation.

Badge +5

I am unable to open the link or not access. why? I am CommVault partner. 

any AlterNet solution?

Actually, I have downloaded the setup of CommVault media 11.34 and installed the same on windows server but getting error as” Failed to configure web server, port (80) is already in use, one of the following services may be using the port and conflicting with CommVault web deployment agent, SQL server reporting, world wide web publishing. to resolve this issue, try stopping each of these services individually and then retrying installation. once installation completed successfully, you will need to permanently disable the conflicting service in order to use CommVault.”

also, I have checked the services, there is not any service available on services windows instead of world wide web publishing. and this one was stop, but again same.

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi @Keshav Sawant,

means as you said, read and write performance ratio is high in SSD Right ?

=> Yes, that is correct. SSD’s have significant read/write speeds compared to HDD’s

You can also refer to “Disk layout” in the below documentation

Hardware Specifications for Deduplication Mode (commvault.com)

You can download Full Media Kit using the below link,

https://cloud.commvault.com/webconsole/softwarestore/#!/130/729/27813

Regards,

Suleman

Userlevel 4
Badge +10

I am unable to open the link or not access. why? I am CommVault partner. 

any AlterNet solution?

Actually, I have downloaded the setup of CommVault media 11.34 and installed the same on windows server but getting error as” Failed to configure web server, port (80) is already in use, one of the following services may be using the port and conflicting with CommVault web deployment agent, SQL server reporting, world wide web publishing. to resolve this issue, try stopping each of these services individually and then retrying installation. once installation completed successfully, you will need to permanently disable the conflicting service in order to use CommVault.”

also, I have checked the services, there is not any service available on services windows instead of world wide web publishing. and this one was stop, but again same.

The packages are also available from the Store

https://store.commvault.com/webconsole/softwarestore/store.do#!/130

As per the error, port 80 must be already in use for another service. You will need to check (i.e. with netstat command) which service is already binding to port 80 and make sure the port is available for Tomcat during Commvault installation.

Badge +5

not understand what exact use of storage pool and storage policy is, schedule policy, file policies, subclient policies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19

Maybe you should follow a course first and/or take some time to go through the essential documentation. 

Badge +5

already done, but in other backup software, there is not any require thing or etc.

and I am asking only simple word answer or easy short answer. not require course document and all.

Please provide simple/ easy word answer, short answer

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi @Keshav Sawant ,

Not understand what exact use of storage pool and storage policy is, schedule policy, file policies, subclient policies

=> This information is available on the documentation page.

ex:

Storage Policy (commvault.com)

Create a Storage Pool (commvault.com)

Getting Started with Schedule Policies (commvault.com)

Subclient Policy FAQ (commvault.com)

We would request you to go through the documentation and then raise queries if you are not able to understand.

Regards,

Suleman

Badge

Hi,

Deduplication can be a major bottleneck for Commvault data protection operations, be it backups or data aging.

The reason you need to use SSDs, or better yet PCI-E cards to host your DDBs is that they are the only ones that meet the requirements.

Of course, back in the day, RAID 10 SAS 15k was used to host deduplication DBs, but 4x SAS 15k drives cost more and offer less performance than 2x SSDs nowadays.

You will find specs for the DDB disks below

https://documentation.commvault.com/2023e/expert/hardware_specifications_for_deduplication_mode_01.html

Thanks

Badge +5

having one more query… what is target in commvault means data backup where should be store ?

Disk library or storage pool.

i am create one disk library from CIFS and one storage pool created .. so, data where should be store ?

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi @Keshav Sawant,

Target means the storage where data will be stored.

When you select the storage pool when creating a new copy or storage policy, target is already mentioned in the storage pool.

Storage pool : Deduplication + Storage.

Regards,

Suleman

Badge +5

ok. means backup data will be store in storage pool, right?

then what is library tab and what is use of disk library option? … i can understand, if supposed the have tape library then should be add through library tab, but what is use of disk library tab and other cloud storage library option.?

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi @Keshav Sawant ,

Data is on the library itself. You cannot create a storage pool without library.

Storage pool : Deduplication + Storage.

When you select the storage pool when creating a new copy or storage policy, target is already mentioned in the storage pool.

Regards,

Suleman

Badge +5

if suppose, i have multiple target / disk library as data domain or NAS server, because some of the data want store on data domain and some of the store on NAS server, then how much storage pool in commvault environment or require how many storage pool ?

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi @Keshav Sawant ,

i have multiple target / disk library as data domain or NAS server, because some of the data want store on data domain and some of the store on NAS server,

=> In this case you will have to create individual storage pools. One for Data Domain and the other for NAS Server

Regards,

Suleman

Badge +5

ok thank you.

Having one more query. as which should be storage pool location? 

Commvault server driver or target drive. what should be prefer?

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi @Keshav Sawant,

As we have discussed multiple times, Storage pool is combination of Deduplcaion and Library. So there is nothing called as Storage pool location. There is DDB partition location, it is always a local path on the media agent. and then we have library, it can Disk, cloud, network share, etc..

Regards,

Suleman

Badge +5

Hi Team,

how to push commavult windows agent and linux agent through commcell or command center ?

require download software first in software cahe or else directly push.

Because i tried to push bith way. it was failed. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +8

Hi @Keshav Sawant ,

If you have mulrple queries, please open new thread. Current thread was only for  “why require SSD for deduplication ?”.

Regards,

Suleman