Solved

License consumption VM sockets after ESXi IP change

Badge +1

Hello,

customer changed IP adresses of some ESXi hosts. Now the software claims that 14 of 12 socket licneses are used. Looking in the license summary report we can see three hosts with the old and the new IP address. Is there a way to clean this up? Or do we need to wait for a full backup for each and every VM?

Regards
Mario

icon

Best answer by dude 12 March 2021, 12:48

View original

10 replies

Badge +15

Counts all CPU sockets on a physical Hypervisor host based on the last successful backup (full or synthetic full) of a virtual machine residing in the host.

https://documentation.commvault.com/commvault/v11_sp20/article?p=40124.htm

Badge +1

Explains why we see old and new IPs, since not every VM has had a Full Backup after the IP change.

Hence my question if it is possible to clean up the old entries? Because waiting for all VMs would mean 5 additional days with the current license error.

Regards
Mario

Badge +15

Not that I`m aware. My understanding is that VM sockets on a physical hypervisor is based on the last successful full or synthetic full. If you do not run that, your report will still show the old hosts as "valids".

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Explains why we see old and new IPs, since not every VM has had a Full Backup after the IP change.

Hence my question if it is possible to clean up the old entries? Because waiting for all VMs would mean 5 additional days with the current license error.

Regards
Mario

Hey @Mario Weise .  I’m not aware of any way to force things (some Licensing is impacted when Data Aging is run, but I don’t think sockets are impacted).

Are you seeing any operations impacted or is it just an error?

I’ll look into this to see if we have any forcing mechanism just in case.

Thanks!

Badge +1

Backups are running, with the end customer resetting the usage warning in the license dialog of the console.Hopefully this helps until next wednesday, when all fulls finished.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Ok, so you are having to hit the rest button.  That’s definitely a concern (at the least an inconvenience, but more than that).

I’ll let you know if I discover any method to speed that up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Backups are running, with the end customer resetting the usage warning in the license dialog of the console.Hopefully this helps until next wednesday, when all fulls finished.

Not sure about the situation but inc + synthetic full could be a faster way?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Not sure about the situation but inc + synthetic full could be a faster way?

That’s some clever thinking!

@Mario Weise , this could be a simpler method that won’t inhibit the clients at all.

Badge +1

Thanks for the feedback. Will discuss this with the end customer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Great!  I also confirmed that we can’t force the check...the Full is the check.  The license checked the last full backup to see what esx hosts are in use and applies accordingly.