Solved

AWS - Couchbase Backup with Commvault 11.28.36

• 7 February 2024
  • 4 replies

Badge +6

We have an installation of Commvault 11.28.36 in an AWS environment.  There is only 1 Commserve servicing multiple VPC’s with each VPC having it’s own Media Agent(s) and S3 Bucket(s).  We have Couchbase installations in various VPC’s and currently we use the Couchbase backup utilities to dump the backups to EFS which are also mounted on the media agents.  From there, we do EFS backups to S3.

We are interested in exploring the Commvault Couchbase backup process with targets to S3 and have a few questions:  

• Does Commvault Couchbase backup process just utilizes the Couchbase backup utilities?  Is there any document that provides technical details on the backup process?
  • Currently, with the EFS backup, we are utilizing the Capacity Based License.  If we move to this Commvault solution, what license will it consume?

I appreciate insight into to this.

Thanks

Chuck

icon

Best answer by Stephen Gracon 15 February 2024, 17:21

View original

4 replies

Badge +1

Hi Chuck,

Please refer following documentation for the couchbase backups.

Couchbase (commvault.com)

Feel free to raise any further questions.

Regards,
Abhishek Sharma

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @ChuckC,

1. Yes Commvault uses the builtin command line utility cbbackupmgr to do a ‘dump and sweep’ backup, as there is no native streaming API. So the Couchbase data will be output to a temporary location and then backed up. The location could be a local disk or shared storage like NFS, and I also believe its possible to use S3 as a temporary location as well.
  2. I’ll need to check further on licensing …
Userlevel 1
Badge +4

Regarding licensing, Couchbase falls under the Big Data data type which would continue to count against your capacity license.

Badge +6

Team, this is perfect.  I really appreciate all the answers.  Next step is to configure the client / Backup.  Thank you

Chuck